Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm looking at pulling the "trigger"

I'm looking at pulling the "trigger"

On a Shapeoko 3 XXL machine.
    I got to use one at the local "MakerSpace" at the local college. It's not a CAMaster Stinger or Panther, but it will get me started in the CNC Router world of wood that I'm so eager to get started in.

If all works out, I'll order one tomorrow.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Push that button, Dennis! You'll be glad you did...it's going to be almost immediately productive for you, too, for many of the things you've been making for the business. Go for it! And please don't focus on "disadvantages" with this decision. It may or may not be a stepping stone to something bigger/heavier at some point, but in the mean time...you get to make nice stuff.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Cool Dennis! Is it a kit?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Is it a kit?
    Yes, requires assembly...but it's not difficult.
    --

Order is placed!!!! Now we wait.

I'm working to get the shop ready for the arrival but I also have projects to get done before it arrives. So Excited!!!!
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ... It may or may not be a stepping stone to something bigger/heavier at some point, but in the mean time...you get to make nice stuff.
    I'd totally agree with that. I purchased the ShapeOko2 a while back when they first offered it as I was clueless about CNC's but thought what they were capable of looked awesome. Once I got the hang of it, I was incorporating it into many of my projects. Then I expanded the foot print for even larger projects made a few other upgrades. I recently built a heavy duty CNC beast from scratch and sold the ShapeOko2 to another budding woodworker. I'm already getting pictures from him a few times a month with all of the projects he's using it for. They're a great tool to have in your arsenal.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

Matt, mine has become my "go to" tool for so many things. I truly enjoy the design and file creation and the resulting precision...it's mentally stimulating to me.
    --

Looking forward to your updates.

Just look at all the things you can do with a CNC!

A few days ago LOML asked if I could make her a stiffer sewing seam gauge than the wet noodle 1/32 thick one she had. Sure, I have some 1/8 plate that will be perfect, says I!

An hour of measuring, drawing & programming.
    An hour (or so) of prep & set up - cutting aluminum is VERY messy on a router!
    An hour (or so) of actual cutting, and voila! One $7 seam gage, albeit a stiffer one!
    An hour (or so) of cleanup.

It’s like buying a shop full of tools to save money on furniture..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 11-01-2019 at 7:17 PM. Reason: forgot cleanup..
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

--

Just look at all the things you can do with a CNC!

A few days ago LOML asked if I could make her a stiffer sewing seam gauge than the wet noodle 1/32 thick one she had. Sure, I have some 1/8 plate that will be perfect, says I!

An hour of measuring, drawing & programming.
    An hour (or so) of prep & set up - cutting aluminum is VERY messy on a router!
    An hour (or so) of actual cutting, and voila! One $7 seam gage, albeit a stiffer one!
    An hour (or so) of cleanup.

Yes and yes....

BUT.....You DID win the heart of The LOYL for it.
    Dennis -

Dennis, I see your "immediate" opportunity once you have that thang up and running is personalization of those beautiful cutting boards you and your daughter are manufacturing....
    --

Dennis, would love to hear your feedback on the CNC.
    I am new to CNC, did not bite the bullet yet...
    I am curious, what are typical applications that make this desirable?
    I assume its making intricate cuts which are time consuming to set up with hand routers, or takes a long time to make appropiate jigs. I assume carving would be another use?

I assume the next jump up, would be the ability to drill holes as well, but that would prob. require a multi head CNC, prob. way more costly.

Also, is this CNC made to be broken down when not in use, to save on space, or once assembled, it stays assembled? I did not find tolerance or accuracy values of this CNC?

I was watching a video of the SHAPER ORIGIN, a handheld CNC, I was quite impressed... its claim to fame is obviously not price, but the ability to store it in a systainer when not in use to save space, AND, the ability to work on very large sheets which only a massive CNC could do. Did u consider it?
    Last edited by Will Blick; 11-02-2019 at 3:11 PM.

Will, these machines stay built...they cannot be broken down between uses. There are many adjustments that are made to insure absolutely accuracy as part of the setup process.

Shaper Origin is an interesting tool, but it has limited uses compared to a machine like Dennis is acquiring and that I use.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Will Blick View Post
    Dennis, would love to hear your feedback on the CNC.
    I am new to CNC, did not bite the bullet yet...
    I am curious, what are typical applications that make this desirable?
    I assume its making intricate cuts which are time consuming to set up with hand routers, or takes a long time to make appropiate jigs. I assume carving would be another use?

I assume the next jump up, would be the ability to drill holes as well, but that would prob. require a multi head CNC, prob. way more costly.

Also, is this CNC made to be broken down when not in use, to save on space, or once assembled, it stays assembled? I did not find tolerance or accuracy values of this CNC?

I was watching a video of the SHAPER ORIGIN, a handheld CNC, I was quite impressed... its claim to fame is obviously not price, but the ability to store it in a systainer when not in use to save space, AND, the ability to work on very large sheets which only a massive CNC could do. Did u consider it?
    There are so many applications to use one for it is pretty much limited to your imagination.
    Yes, intricate and repeatable cuts. Yes carving is one use.
    To really drill holes then you would probably want another head if you are going to do much of that kind of work but they can be used with the proper bit to drill accurate holes.
    You wouldn't want to be breaking it down because of the accuracy issue for one thing. You need to have space available for the machine and that is one reason they can be bought in such small sizes. Some people don't have room or need for a big 4X8 machine so might go to a 2X2 machine or even smaller.
    Shapeoko supposedly has an accuracy of 0.005".
    I saw the Shaper Origin and it looks like a cool tool but has limitations that a CNC wouldn't.
    Probably the best thing about a CNC is that they give accurate cuts that are repeatable and can be used for production work but the most important thing besides that stuff is that they are like having an employee in the shop. They do the detailed work while leaving you free to do other work.