Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "First" workbench: Sjobergs or build

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    I'll take the opposite side of the popular argument. if you have the funds, just go buy the bench. It won't be your ideal bench, but you will have it and be able to work on it right away. If you build your first bench (and especially if you solicit opinions from people like us ) you will spend 3 months agonizing over the details, 3 months drawing plan after plan, and then 6 months to a year (or more) building it. And it still won't be your ideal bench.

If you buy your non-ideal bench, you will get to start working on it right away and start learning right away what you don't like about it, so when you do build your ideal bench, you'll have a better idea of what you really want, rather than guesses and a thousand opinions from us internet folks. But, and this is the key but, you will actually get to do work on it, rather than spending the better part of a year or two thinking about your bench.

As an alternative if you really want to build a bench (and hey, who in this forum doesn't) take a simple, easy, fast, and cheap plan and build it in a couple weekends, again for the same reasons above. Don't bother with whether you want a Scandinavian bench, Roubo, Nicholson (whatever that is), or any of the other names that get thrown around, you don't know yet what you really want from the bench, so go for something fast, easy, and proven. It probably doesn't matter which one, as long as you can beat on it and clamp stuff; that will get you started, and do most of what you need it to do.

Myself, I of course didn't take any of this advice My first self-built bench was the FWW #4 Tage Frid bench, not something for a beginner. But, when I built it, I had used several benches in various shops, and knew that was the bench that I wanted (and it was; my main current bench is a lower version of that bench). I also had use of my non-ideal but adequate benches (or bench-like adaptations of things not meant to be woodworking benches) so I could still get stuff done. Despite following a fairly detailed and comprehensive plan, it still took me several months to build it, and I was fairly experienced at that point in my woodworking life.

A true musician can make a palatable tune on almost anything, a novice will need a decent quality instrument to get started and not loose motivation. Same with woodworking. Be too ambitious at the start and you'll get disappointed and loose interest. Small steps and short timeframes to make something wil get you there.

Instead of working with solid timber, having to flatten and run into problems with expanding and contracting timber and make allowances for that perhaps get started with a torsion box workbench instead? https://thepowertoolwebsite.com/torsion-box-workbench

FWIW I have built furniture and boats and never had a decent workbench to do so. Did make some decent quality sawhorses during that period that helped a lot.
    Last edited by Marinus Loewensteijn; 11-05-2019 at 12:45 AM.

Blog Entries
    If anyone wants to prevue the FWW bench, here is the teaser on the article:

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2019...tout-workbench

The first posting on this made me think of actually looking for the issue. An email came today promoting this issue.

It left me thinking that maybe it isn't worth pursuing a copy.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Wow, thanks for all the helpful input everyone. These are the benches I have now. When I first moved my shop to the basement a year ago I made these on wheels so they were mobile. They are also able to be latched together to make a 4x8 bench. These worked great when I worked with power tools as they were basically outfeed tables and assembly benches, but they don't do squat for planing and workholding. I have only used the 4x8 "mega bench" for one project, so I don't need it so big.

I think I am going to try to tackle building a bench after everyone's comments. I would like to try to build a certain style of bench like a Moravian or roubo but I don't have the skill yet. If I didn't have a bench to start with I probably would have bought one, but I think I will try to build a good one. I'm thinking a simple design like the sjobergs. I can't afford to make it all from hardwood at this point, so I think I am going to laminate 2x4's and make a 2'x6' top. I am thinking 4x4 for the legs, and using a draw bore mortise and tenon for the frame so if I ever move and need to get it out of my basement, I can pound the pegs out and disassemble.

I will have to figure out vises, but I'll worry about that later.

Is it a stupid idea to draw bore the frame? Should I use glue instead and if I move just leave the bench in the house?
    Attached Images Attached Images

No, it is not stupid to drawbore the frame. I believe that is the way they were built back in the day. I will call "BS" on your statement - " but I don't have the skill yet". The Moravian is not a complicated build and my Ruobo only gave me head pains when working out the Benchcrafted tail vise void. There are plans (and/or YT videos) out there for each type of bench and you take it a step at a time. Joinery is the only real "skil" task set and more work will be done face glueing up 2x material to the desired thickness. Having some of the tools best suited for the work, plus many clamps will help, along with your existing benches to work off of. A solid bench with a face vise (easy installation virtually anywhere you want it after the bench is done) and holdfast holes is an uncomplicated build. My Ruobo required M&T work, again not complicated given the huge amount of instructional content available on YT alone, never mind reading some stuff. The large size of the Ruobo bench makes for less need for dead-on, pretty looking M&T work that a nice piece of furniture requires. Same for the Moravian. If you decide to build your own out of construction grade lumber, then go buy some lumber, sticker it and let it dry for a while
    David

I made a modified version of Paul Sellers' bench out of construction lumber. I had no skills at the time, and it isn't perfect. It is, however, totally functional and works fine for planing. The legs are wedged to the apron and screwed to the slab, so it could all come apart and move, if needed.
    I like the tool well as it is a good spot for chisels and marking gauges. It also allows me to use my bench hook with both western and Japanese saws, and get creative with clamping.
    This was all built on sawhorses with hand tools. I think the vise was on sale for $80-ish on Amazon.

One unintentional benefit of this bench is how great it is for wrapping christmas presents.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    I think I am going to try to tackle building a bench after everyone's comments. I would like to try to build a certain style of bench like a Moravian or roubo but I don't have the skill yet. If I didn't have a bench to start with I probably would have bought one, but I think I will try to build a good one. I'm thinking a simple design like the sjobergs. I can't afford to make it all from hardwood at this point, so I think I am going to laminate 2x4's and make a 2'x6' top. I am thinking 4x4 for the legs, and using a draw bore mortise and tenon for the frame so if I ever move and need to get it out of my basement, I can pound the pegs out and disassemble.

I will have to figure out vises, but I'll worry about that later.

Is it a stupid idea to draw bore the frame? Should I use glue instead and if I move just leave the bench in the house?
    Good call on building a new bench

Laminating and flattening the top will be the most time consuming and challenging step. I made a bench using 12 x 3 Douglas Fir as a split top. These were bolted to left and right top side rails on the leg assemblies through counter bored holes (the legs were made similar to the Paul Sellers bench). I don't find the holes in the top a problem, and it makes disassembly simple, as well as an easy way to tighten the bench after inevitable wood shrinkage.)

You could also consider glueing a few laminated panels to get required thickness. These panels are available at the big box stores, often come up on special and are available in various widths - up to 24". They are dead flat from the factory, so will minimise the flattening. However laminating your own 4 x 2 is likely to be the cheapest route.

Richard Maguire has some great info on workbenches (he used to make some of the best commercially available benches and hardware)

See these articles for vise advice
    https://www.theenglishwoodworker.com...ing-face-vice/
    https://www.theenglishwoodworker.com...g-bench-vices/

This site also has a lot of good information on vises and other workbench topics:
    http://www.workbenchdesign.net/

Make or buy?

There is always a lot of contention on building versus buying a workbench. I went through this about 5-6 years ago. Build or buy? To me a workbench is just another tool. I bought a Lie-Nielsen workbench and have been extremely happy with my decision to buy instead of make. A tool is a tool. I don't "love" them, I use them. If they are useful and satisfy my needs I keep them, maintain them, and upgrade them when needed. If they are not useful they either sit and gather dust or I get rid of them. Tools are the means that allow me to do what I love doing; make furniture for my family and friends. I use my LN workbench almost every day, along with my other tools, but they are just tools (excellent tools) that help me do what I love to do. I have taken the time to make some tools. I have made hand planes, small detail chisels, and a variety of other specialized hand tools. All of these were either not available commercially or too expensive for me. I made them because I needed them to make things with wood, not because I loved the idea of making a tool.

If I had to do it over again, make or buy a bench, I would buy. The cost would be more or less the same either way. But in buying I would spend less time making a tool and more time making furniture.

I would vote for building until and unless you need the bench right away.

Building bench, as an amateur, is a very valuable learning experience.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    No, it is not stupid to drawbore the frame. I believe that is the way they were built back in the day. I will call "BS" on your statement - " but I don't have the skill yet". The Moravian is not a complicated build and my Ruobo only gave me head pains when working out the Benchcrafted tail vise void. There are plans (and/or YT videos) out there for each type of bench and you take it a step at a time. Joinery is the only real "skil" task set and more work will be done face glueing up 2x material to the desired thickness. Having some of the tools best suited for the work, plus many clamps will help, along with your existing benches to work off of. A solid bench with a face vise (easy installation virtually anywhere you want it after the bench is done) and holdfast holes is an uncomplicated build. My Ruobo required M&T work, again not complicated given the huge amount of instructional content available on YT alone, never mind reading some stuff. The large size of the Ruobo bench makes for less need for dead-on, pretty looking M&T work that a nice piece of furniture requires. Same for the Moravian. If you decide to build your own out of construction grade lumber, then go buy some lumber, sticker it and let it dry for a while

David's advise is dead on, if you build go with something proven to start. The major work in any build is the slab. Yet the slab is probably the least critical part. Pick a known base, as posted I'm a Moravian fan because of the ease of build, stability and the fact it is easy to break down and move. I've built Roubo benches as well and the Roubo base is an easy build and stable. Build either to go with your slab and you will have a good bench that will be better than either the ready made or any of the "build a bench in a day" benches woodworking mags like to publish.

Where the builds can get complicated and sometimes difficult is when you start adding accessory to the bench such as face vises, deadmen, wagon or tail vises. If you use a simple vise like a leg vise with a crisscross it will add little time or difficulty to the build. Bottom line: Roubo or Moravian benches are very easy builds if you keep them simple and if you do there will be less "stuff" to drive you to barking at the moon later. Keeping simple is win win.

ken
    Last edited by ken hatch; 11-06-2019 at 3:05 AM.

First workbench I made....was the one from The New Yankee Workshop....by Norm Abram. On my 3rd version....

Thanks for the pictures Nathan! That is pretty much what I had in my head. I was considering doing a tool well but was on the fence. Do you ever regret not having a solid top?

Just noticed late last night that Joshua (Wood and Shop guy) on YT has recently started selling Moravian benches at $3,500 per.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Just noticed late last night that Joshua (Wood and Shop guy) on YT has recently started selling Moravian benches at $3,500 per.
    David,

I have one up for $1600 USD because there are a couple of blemishes, nothing structural but not close enough to perfect. Out of Poplar and Beech with BeachCrafted screw and crisscross I ask $3200 USD so $3500 USD is completely in line, in fact I'd call it a good deal.

Just to add, not a lot for your time at that price.

ken
    Last edited by ken hatch; 11-06-2019 at 1:05 PM.

I purchased a bench when I first started woodworking. Building a decent bench was for certain beyond my limited skill set at the time. My bench has worked just fine and I have no reason to build a different bench.

Decide on skill set, time availability, and cost. You already said that cost was not an issue.

If you build your own, you can choose the vice you want in the configuration you want. To some extent I can move vicss around on my bench, but I have their vises. So, especially if you have a vise vice.....

Even now, I would probably just buy a bench if the costs were similar and i did not see something specific that I wanted that would not be on the bench that I was about to purchase.

Agrteed on the profit margin Ken. Slim, slim.
    David