Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know tractors? Deere 300 backhoe on CL

Do not fall for the super clean $4,000 dollar tractor that the title is just a series of model numbers. often without the brand in the title. These are a scam to get your phone or email so they can spam you. You are supposed to think only you figured out the title so I need to jump in and buy it before others do to. The price is about 1/2 of what it should be so I can not waste time on research. The add is also odd since the location is not quite right.
    Bill D.

What rules does your state have about tractor Diesel engines and smog laws? 25Hp and above have to meet the latest smog laws, tier 4, I beleive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Champagne View Post
    I'm going to be doing some construction at the house, probably starting in the spring.
    Building a large garage in my backyard. I also have a lot of site work, grading, landscaping etc to do.
    I have wanted a "compact utility tractor" for some time. But I figure the earthmoving needs of construction and what I want it for later are different needs. So I was considering buying a larger backhoe, and selling it in a few years, trading for something smaller.
    Came across this today though, and older John Deere 300 Industrial, with loader and backhoe. Only $3k. Supposedly good to got ready for work.
    It's gas engine (booo) but PTO power and whatever aren't really a concern in this machine.
    Is anyone familiar with these or similar tractors? Is this up to the task of digging trench for building footings (4' frost line here) and general earth moving?
    'https://nh.craigslist.org/grd/d/rindge-john-deere-300-industrial/7002375814.html
    Go look it over and then make your decision. You say you are a mechanic and can work on it. See if it is in your abilities to repair an maintain it.
    Gas engine is a plus. You won't use it enough for the diesel engine to payoff and won't have to deal with injectors, injector pump and cold starting issues.
    That pin on backhoe is heavy built and will work good as long as it is in decent shape or can be put there for a cost you are willing to pay

looks like 43 hp and 6232 lbs(tractor only) add for the loader and backhoe
    will do a lot of work and be handy to have IF not worn flat out
    Last edited by Ron Selzer; 11-01-2019 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post

What rules does your state have about tractor Diesel engines and smog laws? 25Hp and above have to meet the latest smog laws, tier 4, I believe.
    Bill
    So far, most of New England hasn't gone that far yet with smog laws. If he uses it for personal use, on his property, no one will ever look, except maybe the local tax collector. If you start doing commercial work, maybe then.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

new smog laws only apply to new machines, just like cars, they have to meet the emissions requirements when they are built, not the current.

a mini ex here is about 500 a day, and a skid steer is even more. you guys have some good rental rates.

i could really use a backhoe now. . . have to replace the water line from the meter, about 130 feet. rate is over 8 grand, and that's a good price!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Maybe not always so simple, Mark.
    No argument that shuttling around between jobs or on a large job site isnt wise. Thats a no brainer. Tramming any machine even a rubber tired hoe/tractor, much more than a few dozen machine lengths when you have the option to shuttle it on a trailer makes total sense.

Ive unfortunately had to run my machine miles up and down the road when no trailer was available. Its not fun nor cheap but thankfully I was on someone else's dime. My point was a rental haul bill from the yard and back. My perspective is its no different than picking and hauling your own materials when your vendor will do it for free or a reasonable haul bill. Even if a rental yard is charging $100 each way (never see that much around here) thats cheap money to be able to keep working as opposed painting the interstate with diesel, insurance to cover the yards machine on your trailer, wear and tear, and moreso the time. But then its picking up material while out, go out to dinner, yada yada.

We all have to haul stuff ourselves at times, its inevitable. My point with regards to the original post is that when your really honest about it, there is very little gain (and more than likely a loss) of productivity with a multi-use machine in a construction setting where your not able to charge for it/making money. (then the slippery slope starts about making a little money with the machine on the side for neighbors lol). Very few of them do a lot of things well, and none of them do any of them fast. It definitely results in owning a new (to you) tool, but to me from a business/money/flip perspective it doesnt add up. End loader wont do half the work a good modern skid or track steer will, a mini-hoe will out-dig pretty much any industrial rubber tired hoe all day long forget about a tractor mounted implement, and all the while you have to cobble on the machine no work is getting done on the around-the-house project. Been there done that. But if its fun and enjoyable then its all moot, then its not about a sound investment.

About the best thing in my opinion for a machine like the one posted would a 7'-8' hydraulic box scraper and having it as a dedicated grading machine. As you mention, your not going to pull a heaped/overflowing box, but you really shouldn't anyway as no rubber tired machine has the ability to walk-in deep lifts. You can do a mile of really pretty work and move a surprising amount of material grading with a box scraper and light passes and it'll be nice and tight when done.

It always seem to me that far too often people are rental averse thinking they are throwing their money away as opposed to putting it towards something they'll own. Once most people break-the-seal and find the convenience of a nice clean maintained machine that runs without a hitch, is ripping fast, does what its designed to do very well, dropped at your door when you need it, and not there when it needs maintenance and upkeep, its usually gets pretty clear.

As you mention, there's always a break-over point where when you rent often enough owning becomes practical. No one owning a horse farm would rent a 120hp tractor and 15' batwing a few times a year though if I had a neighbor with one I would be more than happy to pay them the hourly rate as opposed to owning it myself ;-) To me that'd be money in the bank. Mowing grass that isnt going to be picked up for me is another painting the interstate with diesel scenario. I just personally hate bushogging for the sake of cutting grass. I enjoy the mindlessness of it but its just pouring diesel on the ground to me, though again, it has to be done. But I'd much rather sit on the porch and watch someone else knock it down and take the maintenance nightamare down the road so I didnt have to deal with it. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    new smog laws only apply to new machines, just like cars, they have to meet the emissions requirements when they are built, not the current.

a mini ex here is about 500 a day, and a skid steer is even more. you guys have some good rental rates.

i could really use a backhoe now. . . have to replace the water line from the meter, about 130 feet. rate is over 8 grand, and that's a good price!

My understanding is this is not exactly true for big trucks. You do not have to add the latest smog tech to your older equipment. They just do not allow it to be run in parts of the state and country until it has been updated. I know some used equipment at auctions is not legal for sale in California. It has to be moved out of state by the new owner. You can not title that stuff in California after you buy it.
    If it is a farm tractor with no license plates who would know? They have gone to farms and busted them for old diesel water pumps
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 11-01-2019 at 1:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    My understanding is this is not exactly true for big trucks. You do not have to add the latest smog tech to your older equipment. They just do not allow it to be run in parts of the state and country until it has been updated. I know some used equipment at auctions is not legal for sale in California. It has to be moved out of state by the new owner. You can not title that stuff in California after you buy it.
    If it is a farm tractor with no license plates who would know? They have gone to farms and busted them for old diesel water pumps
    Bill D
    Only in California.
    Adam is correct. Everywhere else as long as it's original it doesn't have to be updated to tier 4. We rebuild our machinery in a rebuild shop. As long as the same engine goes back in as it originally was equipped with it doesn't have to be updated. In order to purchase a new or reman equivalent engine you have to turn in an engine core of the same engine model. We have new machines with DEF fluid and EGR coolers and we have 80's model machines still running Detroit 53 or 71 series 2 stroke engines.
    As far as hydraulic hoses they aren't hard to come by. You might inquire around though. The dealer might not be much higher than the local auto parts store that makes hoses. Cylinders? Look at the rod condition. As long as the chrome is good you are probably okay. But if there are any knicks or worse rust then that's a big problem. Don't be mislead into thinking that just because it says John Deere on it any part you might ever need will be available. That's simply not true. Engine and transmission shouldn't be a problem. But especially parts for the hoe would be worrisome. It's missing the fenders that were standard on it. If it doesn't start and function then I'd definitely keep looking. There are so many unknowns that it's only going to have scrap value. Pull the dipstick on the transmission and make sure water hasn't infiltrated it. Do the gear shifts move freely? It's going to be a project even if it seems to work okay.

I have a John Deere 210C backhoe loader. I also have 50 acres and the thing has more then paid for itself many many times. However, it is diesel and 4 wdr. It was damaged by fire when I bought it. Needed hoses and a rear tire, but only had 1500 hours on it. I put close to $2,500 in hoses, tires and other repairs into it before I could use it. However, I only paid $2,000 for it as it sat after the fire. I plow snow, dig trenches, use it to haul fire wood, tow logs, lift and move heavy items, Picked up a junk hay rake and set it on a trailer to haul to the scrap yard. dug out stumps, etc. I may use it only once a week to 10 days but it was well worth it. However, in this day and age, I would not buy machinery that is gas. Just far too much more things that can go wrong. Had gas tractors and spent too much time rebuilding carbs, searching for ignition problems, etc.

Looks like it is made by JD and not Yanmar who makes their smaller models. Thy call it a industrial tractor so I guess the backhoe can come off.
    Bill D.

http://www.tractordata.com/industria...deere-300.html

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    However, it is diesel ... I would not buy machinery that is gas. Just far too much more things that can go wrong. Had gas tractors and spent too much time rebuilding carbs, searching for ignition problems, etc.
    I agree. I buy diesel when I can. At the moment I have six off-road machines with diesel engines plus my Dodge truck. Anyone want some gasoline powered equipment to debug and fiddle with at least once a year?

We had a Deere 300 series when I was working in home building it was a work horse

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    We had a Deere 300 series when I was working in home building it was a work horse
    The original 300 series was built from 1965 until 1973. It was based upon the 1020 ag model. Is this the 300 series you had? They still have as far as I know a 310 series but it's many times removed from that model. They aren't hybrids any more they are built with few similarities now. Shared engines and little else.

I had a JD 300, no backhoe 35 years ago and it was a good tractor/loader within its limitations. $3000 will not buy a decent backhoe attachment for a new tractor, so my opinion is that if you are a mechanic, these are the simplest things to work on ever made. Mine was a gas as well, and it ran just fine and had plenty of power.

If you buy it, tinker a little, get your work done it will be worth at least as much as you paid for it. I had partial ownership in a paving company back then and the 300 was a catch all sort of machine that got used all over the place by everyone, was abused, and always came back for more. Parts are still readily available for that model.

That being said, it is not even remotely comparable to modern machinery. But you are not trying to make a living with it, you are playing. It will get the work done much better than a shovel. I have a modern 4x4 tractor now, but when I am down on the family farm there is a similar old JD down there that I use, and although clumsy by today's standards I still get a lot of work done with it.

Have fun no matter what way you go.

I have decided this isn't the machine I'm looking for.
    I do believe it could be a good deal, possibly something I could even make a few bucks on when I'm done.
    But I have plans for a lot of loader work, and it will also probably be moving snow. 4WD is what I need. I'm gonna spend some Saturdays checking out dealerships in the area to see what brands, sizes and features strike me as what I want and take my used search from there. There are a few Mahindra models around that I'd like to see.
    I will have significantly more funds available after the 1st of the year, I'll probably be willing to spend around 20-25k. So I'm not in a rush.
    This Deere was just something that popped up as interesting, that I could afford to buy and fix now.

Jay, I think that's a good plan. Knowing who sells and services what in your are is very important as you seem to get. Even if you are doing all your own work as a mechanic (and honestly, I do my own work on my Kubota most of the time and I'm no mechanic at all!), availability of parts, advice, etc., is a good thing. You might check out an online forum called "Tractor By Net" as it is, like SMC is for woodworking, a great resource for tractors of all sizes and brands.

Which reminds me...I have a hydraulic hose to my backhoe that needs replaced...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...