Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12" Jointer Mobility?

I think if I was to put a mobile base under a jointer that size I would want 4 swivel casters so it could be pushed up against a wall easily. The 2 fixed 2 swivel design used by most table saws works because one side doesn't have a extension table so you can jockey it to get it close. But with tables on both sides I'm thinking that tucking it nice and close to a wall would be extremely hard.

Blog Entries
    We just took over a shop and bought a lot of their tools. This 12” Grizzly jointer has been mounted on wheels and it works very well. I would have never thought it would work with this setup- thinking it is too heavy, but the wheels have not collapsed, and the machine is easy to move. I don’t know how old it is, but it isn’t new.

617D63B3-6044-4D6F-8EBC-1412FE238242.jpg

It is a steel base with a wood top. Note: yes, the dust collection is not right and I’m fixing that. They had just crammed a plastic pipe in the chute. We are still setting up shop but my partner used the jointer as is for a project, hence the shavings. ... and yes, we got new knives in the deal too!
    BDAC0786-2F9D-4A2A-9639-525AA9A81199.jpg
    Last edited by Malcolm Schweizer; 11-02-2019 at 10:21 PM.

Late to this thread, so sorry. I have a 12" J/P and have been using a 3 wheeled HTC base, rather than 4 wheeled. The reasoning is, the 3 base points will allow the machine to maintain it's own dimensional integrity, whereas the 4 base points will cause tweaking, and change will change, depending on the flatness of the floor.

I had a 12" (Bridgewood?) on casters for a few years. I think it was well over 1000 lbs. Bolted the casters directly to the frame of the machine. Buy good casters that will not flatten due to the weight. I did not move it 'often', but it was possible. The foot print was more narrow that I would have like for such a top heavy machine, so extending the base wider would provide stability.

Note my shop has tile flooring so easy to move. (just need to pick up the bits and pieces of wood least the machine hits one you dont want it toppling over)

My combo uses a johnson bar with larger dia wheels. I would use this type of setup if you have space (Just give room for the johnson bar to swing).

Make an extension for your pallet jack. To move mine from the door to where it sits now I made the jig below. Nothing pretty, but I didn’t plan using it very much. I’ve never moved mine again once I got it set up in the shop.
    407C16E4-C50C-4784-A074-C662CCA047EE.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images