Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Political Mailings

It hasn't been so bad this election. Less controversial on the ballot this odd year. I really hate getting the stupid stuff. "Because I am a mother, I can be a better appeals court judge." Huh? Sorry, I am not seeing the logic in that statement, which probably means you shouldn't be expected to use logic and the law in your opinions, and that means you would be a terrible appeals judge. The real killer was the one a year ago, who claimed being a career former US Military Chaplain trained him better than the incumbent for Congress. Sorry I don't see any logic there either. Tell me what you have done that gives you experience and views that match mine. Being a veteran is nice, Thanks for your service and all. But what does that have to do with making decisions about international economics that affect my jobs and investments., and domestic policies that affect long range goals for my government. The more emotional and knee jerk the platform, the less I respect the candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It makes me wonder what these people are thinking. Their bombardment approach seems to turn some people off. Are there people who actaully like to get loads of junk mail?

Give your eddress out and you may find your account so full of spam it is next to unusable. One of my old eddresses is now used for online companies that tend to render an abundance of spam. It is amazing that some companies seem to have a sale going on a daily basis. My interest would be sparked more by seeing an ad once a week or month instead of sometimes twice a day.

Here is yesterday's batch of mostly junk email with one that arrives early everyday included from today:

Attachment 418828

A constant bombardment trying to convince me to buy something or send money is something that will soon be easily ignored if it doesn't appeal to my daily reading.

jtk

It's a PITA but each one of those emails should have an unsubscribe link at the bottom in very small print. I find it's worth my time to find the link and unsubscribe whenever I get something new and useless.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    It's a PITA but each one of those emails should have an unsubscribe link at the bottom in very small print. I find it's worth my time to find the link and unsubscribe whenever I get something new and useless.
    Maybe that should be given a try. It used to be most of the unsubscribe links may have gotten you off of one list but proved that the eddress was valid. This ended up getting one on even more spam mail lists.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries

While going through a few, mostly from political groups, this popped up in the unsubscribe process:

Submit to Staying In.png

A quick read of this might have one thinking clicking "SUBMIT" will get them out when it actually gets them back in.

This must give people a warm fuzzy feeling when the spam they didn't want just won't flush.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It used to be most of the unsubscribe links may have gotten you off of one list but proved that the address was valid.
    Valid in what sense? If I send email to a bogus address, I get notified by my ISP's mailer daemon that the message is undeliverable. I'm having a lot of trouble believing that the spammers use an email system that doesn't do the same.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I think thousands of emails go to email addresses that may still be"valid" but that no one actually reads, I have one account I rarely use ( if you died today how long would it take for someone to cancel all your accounts? ). Responding to the spam email confirms there is someone at your end actually reading the emails. I shared this same concern and resisted using the unsubscribe button for a long time. I finally got fed up with the growing number of emails and tried the unsubscribe button on all the spam emails I got, within a week they stopped so I guess I was wrong and the unsubscribe button does work (at least in my case), YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    If you died today how long would it take for someone to cancel all your accounts?
    Dunno about gmail etc, but I suspect my main address would get shut off about an hour after Spectrum stopped getting their monthly check from me.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Dunno about gmail etc, but I suspect my main address would get shut off about an hour after Spectrum stopped getting their monthly check from me.
    C'mon, do you really believe they are that efficient? Besides if they did that how would they keep sending you the latest "Special Offer?"

Back in the previous century in the days of dialup my wife and I shared an email address. It's still active and the one I use when I expect it to be used for spam. I can delete 50 emails at a time and it still takes 5 minutes a month to empty it.

As far as political mailings go the most memorable one was from my state representative when I lived in Detroit. That nameless rep talked about being on a Great Lakes commission. Unfortunately the lakes were named- Lake Superior, Lake Michigan, Lake Huron, Lake Erie and Lake St. Clair.

And this was a person that was voting on laws for the State of Michigan. I almost wish I kept that mailing as a souvenir.

-Tom

Blog Entries
    [edited]
    ( if you died today how long would it take for someone to cancel all your accounts? ). Responding to the spam email confirms there is someone at your end actually reading the emails. I shared this same concern and resisted using the unsubscribe button for a long time. I finally got fed up with the growing number of emails and tried the unsubscribe button on all the spam emails I got, within a week they stopped so I guess I was wrong and the unsubscribe button does work (at least in my case), YMMV.
    Glad to hear it works. It was tried in my accounts to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    One of my accounts was set up with a telephone company years ago. The phone number associated with it was canceled over a decade ago. The tech support person couldn't help my about 8 years ago because it supposedly doesn't exist. My problem was solved on my own and the eddress is still working. Mostly it is used for business replies and one that can be given out when email is required.

C'mon, do you really believe they are that efficient? Besides if they did that how would they keep sending you the latest "Special Offer?"
    My pet peeve with the ISP mentioned above is they filled up my mailbox with "IMPORTANT MESSAGE" notifications daily. It was always some service they were trying to pitch me into buying. Soon everything they sent was routed to my spam filter and trashed.

Heck, my old prodigy account might still be floating around. Most likely if someone's mailbox starts to overflow the server holding it notifies someone somewhere of a zombie account.

jtk

You really believe that works? All you're doing is confirming your email address.
    I just mark them all, then block the senders. Easy peazy.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    You really believe that works? All you're doing is confirming your email address.
    I just mark them all, then block the senders. Easy peazy.
    Yes, it does work on reputable mail lists like political campaigns, retail stores, and other lists you inadvertently - or deliberately - get subscribed to. Spam emails are of course a different story. They go directly to the bin. About a dozen years ago I bought a domian for the express purpose of having a nearly unlimited number of emails avaiable. When I go fishing on the web, I sometimes create an email specifically for use that day. And then I delete the email from my domain.

For a pretty funny take on spam, watch this from Ted Talks with James Veich
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Every 2 years is political mailer/advert season, they go to the recycle bin here, election is held & they go away thank goodness. It is the extreme amount of time enduring them that is the problem.