Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forum Advice

Welcome Nathan!

Are you going to be building with your wood or just milling it for others? If the latter, are you going to be selling it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    Welcome Nathan!

Are you going to be building with your wood or just milling it for others? If the latter, are you going to be selling it?

I'll probably use some of it but most likely I'll end up trying to sell most of it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I frequent a few woodworking and motorcycle forums, but for pictures, I use Photobucket, sure it costs about $30 a year, but I find it easier to reference pictures from there and you don't have to worry about picture size, which can be a limitation when attaching on some forums.
    No, not Photobucket! I did a long build thread on my Jeep years ago with many photos hosted on Photobucket, now the pictures are there but being held captive and all out of focus for anyone viewing the thread. I just use the "Manage Attachments" button here when you chose the "Go Advanced" option when posting. They come in as a thumbnail. I like the manage attachments option as now SMC does the hosting and they are there if you want to use the photo in another post. You can even set up folders "my kitchen" for example. BTW, I just went to the Photobucket site, they have a special which is "only" $5 per month or $60 per year or $600 if you expect those photos to be available out 10 years into the future. Crazy. You host your pictures to a free site, then later they hold a gun to your head demanding money for you to view your own photos. Unconscionable.

If you don't want to use the manage attachments feature, just pick the "insert image" icon and choose the "from computer" option.

Another option for posting an ongoing project would be to use SMC's "Blog" feature, although frankly, that is not a very popular option.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 11-11-2019 at 11:10 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

If you make a bench of it only a brave person would sit on it.

I have another question for the mods, so without starting a new thread: I read through the rules for the classifieds and it talks about selling tools, but not selling lumber, unless I just missed it. Is selling lumber allowed in the classifieds, or elsewhere, or just not allowed? Sorry if it seems like a stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Jordan View Post
    I have another question for the mods, so without starting a new thread: I read through the rules for the classifieds and it talks about selling tools, but not selling lumber, unless I just missed it. Is selling lumber allowed in the classifieds, or elsewhere, or just not allowed? Sorry if it seems like a stupid question.
    Although the rules discuss tools, I took a quick look and found lots of cases in Classifieds where people sold wood or posted WTB messages looking for wood. Many are woodturning blanks and other - someone had excess wood of possible interest to luthiers. The key may be in the word "occasional". It's one thing if you have a few boards for sale but you intend on sawing wood for sale this may by considered a business or commercial venture. SMC does sell advertising space. You might send a note to to owner/administrator Keith Outten and ask how your specific situation and plans will fit into the forum.

JKJ

As long as it's "woodworker to woodworker" private sales, selling lumber and other non-tool woodworking "stuff" is permissible and common. What we do not permit is dealer/resale type sales in the Classifieds...commercial entities must work with Keith on how to market here.

Jim
    SMC Moderator

Blog Entries
    I sold lumber through the classifieds here. Sales are not limited to just tools.

Thanks guys that's what I figured. I have a mill for personal use, but I really don't use that much wood so I'll have some excess to sell at some point, I'll probably wait until its dry to post.

Please,please, please, please - consider uploading all the pictures to the forum itself and not having them hosted somewhere else.

The late Nissim Avrahami & Pat Warner hosted a lot of material off site & now it's gone forever.

Nissim's hurt particularly bad since, being from Poland, English wasn't his strong point. Quite often he would tell stories in pictures.
    His genius for coming up with simple solutions to things was amazing. That loss to the community is profound.

Pat was/is a router god. His loss is too much to even begin to tell. He forgot more about routers in 5 minutes than I can ever hope to learn in my entire life.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I post pics directly to the forum. There's even 1 or 2 on this thread.