Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum Advice

Forum Advice

So I'm new to the forum, my main interest in woodworking is milling, and I plan on becoming a contributor so I can see pictures. My question is: which forum is the best to keep a running thread of pictures of projects/cool pieces of wood?

I frequent a few woodworking and motorcycle forums, but for pictures, I use Photobucket, sure it costs about $30 a year, but I find it easier to reference pictures from there and you don't have to worry about picture size, which can be a limitation when attaching on some forums.

Blog Entries
    If you are asking which sub-forum here I might suggest 'Sawmills and Milling'. As to pictures hosted elsewhere; nothing removes the value of a thread quicker than pictures referenced to an outside site that goes south. If you post the pictures here, they are here till SMC goes away. It hasn't been that long since a large amount of content here turned to junk due to outside linked photos. I don't recall the failure/reason but, it made reading historical threads really annoying at best and made them useless at worst.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    If you are asking which sub-forum here I might suggest 'Sawmills and Milling'. As to pictures hosted elsewhere; nothing removes the value of a thread quicker than pictures referenced to an outside site that goes south. If you post the pictures here, they are here till SMC goes away. It hasn't been that long since a large amount of content here turned to junk due to outside linked photos. I don't recall the failure/reason but, it made reading historical threads really annoying at best and made them useless at worst.

Yea I just meant which sub-forum. A couple of other forums I've seen have a section just for pictures but this one doesn't, just figured I'd ask.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Jordan View Post
    Yea I just meant which sub-forum. A couple of other forums I've seen have a section just for pictures but this one doesn't, just figured I'd ask.
    Photos of finished projects go on the Woodworking Projects forum. Work in progress generally gets posted either in General Woodworking and power tools or Neanderthal Forum if it is hand work.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Photos of finished projects go on the Woodworking Projects forum. Work in progress generally gets posted either in General Woodworking and power tools or Neanderthal Forum if it is hand work.
    WIP is also often put in Woodworking Projects if it's a build thread....so start to finish is in the same place. Some of us who are moderators are pretty anal about keeping things organized.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    WIP is also often put in Woodworking Projects if it's a build thread....so start to finish is in the same place. Some of us who are moderators are pretty anal about keeping things organized.
    I think for the most part I'll just have pictures of slabs. In that case I'm thinking maybe I should stick to the milling sub, I'd rather just keep adding new logs rather than keep track of one project. Also don't see the need to start a new thread for every new log, but I didn't know what was protocol.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-01-2019 at 9:18 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Jordan View Post
    I think for the most part I'll just have pictures of slabs. In that case I'm thinking maybe I should stick to the milling sub, I'd rather just keep adding new logs rather than keep track of one project. Also don't see the need to start a new thread for every new log, but I didn't know what was protocol.
    Pictures of slabs would be most appropriate for the Milling area, although an occasionally extraordinary example will be fawned upon here in GW&PT. By "project" we tend to mean an assembly of things into something else, like a table, for example. So that same slab fabricated into a table would indeed be appreciated in the Woodworking Projects Forum area.
    --

Pictures of slabs would be most appropriate for the Milling area, although an occasionally extraordinary example will be fawned upon here in GW&PT. By "project" we tend to mean an assembly of things into something else, like a table, for example. So that same slab fabricated into a table would indeed be appreciated in the Woodworking Projects Forum area.
    I do have some pretty sweet driftwood that I would consider extraordinary!
    20190808_181318.jpg

"Holy wormholes, Batman!!!!" Nice!
    --

So that driftwood looks to have been eaten by shipworms. What diameter are those holes and what species of wood and what ocean? You might also post this on the boatbuilding forum (where it will cause nightmares no doubt)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    So that driftwood looks to have been eaten by shipworms. What diameter are those holes and what species of wood and what ocean? You might also post this on the boatbuilding forum (where it will cause nightmares no doubt)

My first thought was ship worms as well, around a half inch diameter, and some of the holes still have some shell stuck in the bottoms. No idea what species but found in the Gulf of Mexico.

clearly some of you know exactly what you are looking at.... (ship worms or something).

Looks really cool, but I am a bit clueless.

So worms were eating that. I assume that will lower the integrity of the wood. What is that exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    clearly some of you know exactly what you are looking at.... (ship worms or something).

Looks really cool, but I am a bit clueless.

So worms were eating that. I assume that will lower the integrity of the wood. What is that exactly?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shipworms

The scourge of the early days of sailing.
    Not sure what type of wood it is, but I'll try and get some good endgrain shots later on to see if I can narrow it down, if I had to guess I'd say some kind of red oak. Definitely wouldn't use it for anything other than a decorative piece, I'm thinking epoxy holes for a table top.

"Holy wormholes, Batman!!!!" Nice!
    Jim, don’t you mean “bat worms? Lol!