Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum Advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Forum Advice

So I'm new to the forum, my main interest in woodworking is milling, and I plan on becoming a contributor so I can see pictures. My question is: which forum is the best to keep a running thread of pictures of projects/cool pieces of wood?

I frequent a few woodworking and motorcycle forums, but for pictures, I use Photobucket, sure it costs about $30 a year, but I find it easier to reference pictures from there and you don't have to worry about picture size, which can be a limitation when attaching on some forums.

Blog Entries
    If you are asking which sub-forum here I might suggest 'Sawmills and Milling'. As to pictures hosted elsewhere; nothing removes the value of a thread quicker than pictures referenced to an outside site that goes south. If you post the pictures here, they are here till SMC goes away. It hasn't been that long since a large amount of content here turned to junk due to outside linked photos. I don't recall the failure/reason but, it made reading historical threads really annoying at best and made them useless at worst.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    If you are asking which sub-forum here I might suggest 'Sawmills and Milling'. As to pictures hosted elsewhere; nothing removes the value of a thread quicker than pictures referenced to an outside site that goes south. If you post the pictures here, they are here till SMC goes away. It hasn't been that long since a large amount of content here turned to junk due to outside linked photos. I don't recall the failure/reason but, it made reading historical threads really annoying at best and made them useless at worst.

Yea I just meant which sub-forum. A couple of other forums I've seen have a section just for pictures but this one doesn't, just figured I'd ask.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Jordan View Post
    Yea I just meant which sub-forum. A couple of other forums I've seen have a section just for pictures but this one doesn't, just figured I'd ask.
    Photos of finished projects go on the Woodworking Projects forum. Work in progress generally gets posted either in General Woodworking and power tools or Neanderthal Forum if it is hand work.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Photos of finished projects go on the Woodworking Projects forum. Work in progress generally gets posted either in General Woodworking and power tools or Neanderthal Forum if it is hand work.
    WIP is also often put in Woodworking Projects if it's a build thread....so start to finish is in the same place. Some of us who are moderators are pretty anal about keeping things organized.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    WIP is also often put in Woodworking Projects if it's a build thread....so start to finish is in the same place. Some of us who are moderators are pretty anal about keeping things organized.
    I think for the most part I'll just have pictures of slabs. In that case I'm thinking maybe I should stick to the milling sub, I'd rather just keep adding new logs rather than keep track of one project. Also don't see the need to start a new thread for every new log, but I didn't know what was protocol.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-01-2019 at 9:18 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging

I think for the most part I'll just have pictures of slabs. In that case I'm thinking maybe I should stick to the milling sub, I'd rather just keep adding new logs rather than keep track of one project. Also don't see the need to start a new thread for every new log, but I didn't know what was protocol.
    Pictures of slabs would be most appropriate for the Milling area, although an occasionally extraordinary example will be fawned upon here in GW&PT. By "project" we tend to mean an assembly of things into something else, like a table, for example. So that same slab fabricated into a table would indeed be appreciated in the Woodworking Projects Forum area.
    --

Pictures of slabs would be most appropriate for the Milling area, although an occasionally extraordinary example will be fawned upon here in GW&PT. By "project" we tend to mean an assembly of things into something else, like a table, for example. So that same slab fabricated into a table would indeed be appreciated in the Woodworking Projects Forum area.
    I do have some pretty sweet driftwood that I would consider extraordinary!
    20190808_181318.jpg

"Holy wormholes, Batman!!!!" Nice!
    --

So that driftwood looks to have been eaten by shipworms. What diameter are those holes and what species of wood and what ocean? You might also post this on the boatbuilding forum (where it will cause nightmares no doubt)

"Holy wormholes, Batman!!!!" Nice!
    Jim, don’t you mean “bat worms? Lol!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I frequent a few woodworking and motorcycle forums, but for pictures, I use Photobucket, sure it costs about $30 a year, but I find it easier to reference pictures from there and you don't have to worry about picture size, which can be a limitation when attaching on some forums.
    No, not Photobucket! I did a long build thread on my Jeep years ago with many photos hosted on Photobucket, now the pictures are there but being held captive and all out of focus for anyone viewing the thread. I just use the "Manage Attachments" button here when you chose the "Go Advanced" option when posting. They come in as a thumbnail. I like the manage attachments option as now SMC does the hosting and they are there if you want to use the photo in another post. You can even set up folders "my kitchen" for example. BTW, I just went to the Photobucket site, they have a special which is "only" $5 per month or $60 per year or $600 if you expect those photos to be available out 10 years into the future. Crazy. You host your pictures to a free site, then later they hold a gun to your head demanding money for you to view your own photos. Unconscionable.

If you don't want to use the manage attachments feature, just pick the "insert image" icon and choose the "from computer" option.

Another option for posting an ongoing project would be to use SMC's "Blog" feature, although frankly, that is not a very popular option.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 11-11-2019 at 11:10 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

I have another question for the mods, so without starting a new thread: I read through the rules for the classifieds and it talks about selling tools, but not selling lumber, unless I just missed it. Is selling lumber allowed in the classifieds, or elsewhere, or just not allowed? Sorry if it seems like a stupid question.

I have another question for the mods, so without starting a new thread: I read through the rules for the classifieds and it talks about selling tools, but not selling lumber, unless I just missed it. Is selling lumber allowed in the classifieds, or elsewhere, or just not allowed? Sorry if it seems like a stupid question.
    Although the rules discuss tools, I took a quick look and found lots of cases in Classifieds where people sold wood or posted WTB messages looking for wood. Many are woodturning blanks and other - someone had excess wood of possible interest to luthiers. The key may be in the word "occasional". It's one thing if you have a few boards for sale but you intend on sawing wood for sale this may by considered a business or commercial venture. SMC does sell advertising space. You might send a note to to owner/administrator Keith Outten and ask how your specific situation and plans will fit into the forum.

JKJ