Thread: Jointer issue

Jointer issue

I’m trying to joint rough stock and having an issue. Both the end and edge surfaces aren’t jointing evenly. I end up with stock that slopes downwards left to right on the end, and front to back on the side. Additionally, the lower right face never touches the knives. I’ve tried reparalleling the tables and blades, and everything seems to be in alignment, but I still have the issue. Any thoughts?

How's the rough edge on these pieces before you try jointing them? Really bowed or twisted? If so, maybe try to straighten it out on a table saw or BS first? But, your symptoms do seem like the tables are not aligned correctly.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Theyre pretty flat to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Milos View Post
    Theyre pretty flat to start with.
    It really sounds like the tables are out of whack. Just my gut reaction.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Place a straight piece of stock on the out feed table. Rotate the cutter head towards the infeed table by hand. It should lift the stock and move it about 1/8" towards the infeed table. That means the blades are a few thousandths above the out feed table. I see a lot of poor stock feeding technique. I was taught that after the board passes the cutter head, your hands never go back to the infeed side. If you switch your hands from the out feed side to the infeed side all the time, you can get the board rocking back and forth. Lastly the stock sounds like it might have a twist. If really bad, I've actually placed a shim under a section that doesn't even touch the infeed table when I start feeding. As soon as it cuts and I get a somewhat flat surface on the out feed table, I of course keep all the pressure there. All these techniques are irrelevant if you haven't used quality equipment to align the tables.

I think the out feed is too high and causing the work to climb. Less wood is being cut at end closest to cutter head at end of cutting. Less than 2
    thousandths too high is enough to cause that. You have no chance of just dropping the table 2 thou. Have to go lower
    and adjust your way to the top. Just like any other employment !