Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incra 1000HD Users Question

Incra 1000HD Users Question

Considering this miter gauge but I have a real use question for real life users
    The videos and specs seem to universally love this tool but as I look at the vernier cursor area it looks fragile to me sticking out like it does.

p_miter1000hd_body1.png

Has anyone experienced issues with that?

I have a part time shop with safe storage but it's not full time for wood working shop and a smaller Bosch job site saw

I've used one of these for years without any damage to the vernier scale.

I just picked one up about a month ago. If it were to drop I think the track bar or a corner of the fence would hit the floor first. The thinnest piece is indeed that little cursor but it’s tucked into that corner pretty well The lever beneath it appears to be cut from the same thickness as the protractor. I would not worry about it all that much as long as you are mindful of your tools and Incra’s customer service has been very good in my (albeit short) experience should you need a replacement part

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin McCluney View Post
    I've used one of these for years without any damage to the vernier scale.
    Have also had one for years without any problems. It is pretty thin, but as stated earlier, fairly well protected in that location.

Clint

For years I looked at these without buying, thinking they didn't look all that sturdy. A few years ago I bought one. It's plenty sturdy. Love it. Don't hesitate. Just buy it. And I strongly suggest getting the adjustable fence/stop. A real nice upgrade to just about any other I've used.

I noticed the other day that the teeth for the 1 and 2 degree just left of the zero are damaged.

Not sure how I did this, not a huge deal as I rarely use those two indents, plus I think I could file those teeth back and still be able to access that setting if necessary.

The degree gauge can be purchased as a spare part, about $40, if necessary.

I've had one for a few years and use it often. I think the quality is excellent. Like any tool if you drop it there is a possibility it will damage.

That said I'd highly recommend buying one.

Bill

The only way to damage it would be to drop on your shop floor (especially concrete). The fact is, though, you might be able to get by with one of the less expensive Incra models as there really isn't much call for the finest adjustments you can make on the HD. On the other hand, I suppose the HD is worth it if you even have one instance of a use for it.

I have not had issues with that. I have dropped mine once or twice. It’s pretty durable.

No problems with that at all. Love that tool. The only drawback is that it's quite heavy (IMO).
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    It’s a great miter gauge, but that part is delicate.

I hang my up when it’s not in use.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Looks like the tooth to the right is a bit rounded off too.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I noticed the other day that the teeth for the 1 and 2 degree just left of the zero are damaged.

Not sure how I did this, not a huge deal as I rarely use those two indents, plus I think I could file those teeth back and still be able to access that setting if necessary.

The degree gauge can be purchased as a spare part, about $40, if necessary.

I have a cabinet to place when not in use. My concern is accidental abuse like dropping it. My 61 year old fingers are not 25 any longer, nuff said on that...

Thanks for your input

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    It’s a great miter gauge, but that part is delicate.

I hang my up when it’s not in use.

I've had mine for ten years or so without any problems either. It stays hung up out of the way when not in use. However, it's not a tool I would buy for a school shop or probably a working shop with multiple employees running the table saw.

The teeth's job is only to make it easier when setting it to a whole degree (or to 22.5°). Like any other miter gauge you lock it in place by tightening the handle. I have mine set so I don't use the teeth at all. The vernier cursor touches before the arm with the point that locks into the teeth. But I only use mine to make cuts that are unusual angles for multi-sided boxes and segmented bowls. I have the adjustable fence that came with it on the miter gauge that came with my saw. I leave that one set to 90° and rarely check it.

As far as damaging it goes, the arm with the pointer is pretty stout. In general I would be careful with it no matter what. With anything that's precision you want to be careful. If you have a T-slot it'll help as it's not likely to fall off the saw. It's when you remove it and in a hurry you set it somewhere that's not as secure as you think that you should avoid. That's one of my weak points so I make it a point not to do it with expensive or accurate tools. I haven't yet but I'm thinking of making a way of holding it on my saw. Not sure if I'll make a slot for it to slide into or something to hang it from.