Thread: Grrr... Tough day in the shop

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Grrr... Tough day in the shop

Have been working on a timber frame inspired lumber rack for quite a while but I finally have the arms of the rack attached (drawbored pins through tenons with epoxy). Up to this point I've attached all the arms with only 1 pin breaking (missed some cross-grain in the pin), but the pin made it most of the way thru the joint before it broke. I just plugged the backside hole. No problem.

Today I'm attaching feet. Did the first 2 (of 6) a couple days ago, no problems. First foot today, another pin breaks while I'm driving it. Ok, bummer, but just set that one to the side to deal with later after the epoxy cures. 2nd foot up, epoxy up the joint, start driving the pin and instead of closing the joint it opens it up! Whoa! Big surprise. Turns out that I drilled the holes thru the tenon offset the exact opposite of what I needed. Foul language was used...

I quickly took the joint apart, cleaned up the epoxy as best I could to minimize the labor when I figure out how to fix the mess, turned off the lights and radio, headed upstairs. Learned a while back to just walk away when things go really wrong. Just wasn't meant to get anything done today I guess...

But it gets worse. Get upstairs and I find I'm out of my favorite adult beverage!! The last straw....More foul language was used...

Off to the store.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 10-30-2019 at 2:36 PM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher