Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable Air Compressor Recommendations

Portable Air Compressor Recommendations

My Bostitch N376472 took a dump last weekend. It runs but wont make air. Nothing out of the ordinary looks wrong when I take the cover off and run it. Not a fan of Bostitch as this is the second tool out of the three tool set that failed in the last 6 months.

I mainly use it for the 3 standard nailers - brad, finish and framing.

What do you recommend as a replacement?
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

The California compressor gets lots of press (no pun). I'm also hearing a bunch about the HF airless comps having lower noise levels. Check 'em both.
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

My Rolair, JC-10 has held up well. I don't use it a lot, but it works when I need it. It is pretty quiet.
    It's good for finish nailers and staplers, but it doesn't run a framing nailer without waiting for it to recover.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    My Rolair, JC-10 has held up well. I don't use it a lot, but it works when I need it. It is pretty quiet.
    It's good for finish nailers and staplers, but it doesn't run a framing nailer without waiting for it to recover.
    +1 on the JC-10 for finish nailing. If I need to use the framing nailer, I grab my Enco. Much noisier, but usually that's outside and it's not nearly as obnoxious when we're both out in the open.

Clint

Another guy here liking the JC10 Plus. It runs 16, 18 gauge nailers with ease as well as my pin nailer. Haven't used it with a framing nailer but I did see a video where it worked fine, but needed recovery time if fired constantly. It is super quiet. Even though it is reasonably light, I put mine on a mobile cart and attached an old systainer lid to the top to hold additional Tanos tool cases.

Rolair JC10 plus cart .jpg

Rolair JC10 plus cart side.jpg
    Dick Mahany.

I’ve had every pancake they sell at the big orange over the past 15 +/- years. To me they are a throw away item. As are the guns they come with. At the first sign of trouble I just grab the next one to go on sale whichever brand it may be

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Fish View Post
    I’ve had every pancake they sell at the big orange over the past 15 +/- years. To me they are a throw away item. As are the guns they come with. At the first sign of trouble I just grab the next one to go on sale whichever brand it may be
    I've had the same Porter Cables for close to 20 years now. The compressor they came with was the worst, loudest, most obnoxous piece of junk, ever produced. I couldn't wait for it to blow it's guts, so I did it to it on purpose. The Rolair, JC10 was a welcome relief. I just used it to panel a room in the house, and never needed earplugs once. I've probably had it close to a decade.
    The Porter Cable guns though, which most folks seem to say are junk, have held up extremely well. I don't use them that often, but every time I pull them out, they still just work.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I have a portable California Air Tools compressor. I really like how quiet it is, but that thing weighs a ton (even with the aluminum tanks). My other complaint is that it does not reach as high of an air pressure as other portables, and this can be problematic with framing nailers.

It’s hard to go wrong with a Rolair product.

I have a little Senco that is reasonably quiet and pretty light. I have used it with a framing nailer (and flooring nailer) but it is really pretty small for that. It works great for finish nailers. I like my cordless Ryobi compressor for the finish nailers, however. It is even lighter and no cord! My "big" compressor is a Bostitch. It sees little use but worked last time I tried it.

My senco quit on me and it was my fault. I didn't drain the tank enough. Rust got into the valve and I had to replace it. Cost a lot less than a new compressor. Might be something to check out if you haven't done a lot of draining of the tank.

Rolair JC-10 fan here also. Super quiet and problem free. Can’t speak to running a framing nailer, though.

Another vote for the Rolair JC-10. Quiet and light. I can carry it to use in the house or around the yard. Run the staplers and small nailers, but not the framing gun.

I have had a Makita MAC 700 hotdog 12.4 amp 2HP 2-1/2 gal. Oiled single hot dog air compressor for some 12 years. It will run a framing nailer, at my speed, which is not fast no more.

Blog Entries

For what it's worth, here's a video showing how one guy fixed a running-but-no-air problem with his N376472. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_KcvqN19qI

I'm another JC10 fan...it's rated at 60db which I believe is one of the quieter compressors in it's class. It's rated at 91PSI and ideal for finish/pin nailers, and we also use it for our coiler roofing and siding nailer without issue. Not sure how robust it would be for a full-on 16d framer though...as others have pointed out you might have to work at a slower pace.

Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Dewalt D55167

This is larger than the others suggested and likely noisier but it runs any of my nail guns, pin, finish, coil, framing with ease and has a large enough tank to supply my plasma machine.