Thread: Where to get felt for drawers on a machinist's tool box?

Where to get felt for drawers on a machinist's tool box?

I'm rehabbing a Gerstner style machinist tool box. The drawers need new lining. I'm open to suggestions on where to purchase the felt lining or other material to line the drawers. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by James Spillman View Post
    I'm rehabbing a Gerstner style machinist tool box. The drawers need new lining. I'm open to suggestions on where to purchase the felt lining or other material to line the drawers. Thank you.
    Fabric stores usually carry felt. https://www.joann.com/premium-felt/zprd_02109106a.html

JKJ

The woven felt is the best ,pool table high end. It's a nice indulgence, but you have to put something in the box to repel
    mothes. With good tools in it ,I don't think the difference is a big deal.

James,

I've been using pig skin in many of my boxes and it may be an alternative to felt. It has a tighter nap for one so it won't collect as much "crumbs" as the fuzzy felt but still offers enough friction to keep your tools in place. I usually use stiff poster board I get at Staples, cut it to fit slightly undersized for the space its to occupy (to accommodate the pig skin thickness) Then cut out the pig skin with a 1/2" boarder around the poster board, spray contact cement both, put them together then cut the corners off, fold it all together and there you go. Easily replaceable. I'm lucky to have this place close by to purchase it. https://hidehouse.com/products/

Cheers,

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by James Spillman View Post
    Instead of felt I use a rubber drawer liner Harbor Freight sells.