Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chainsaw starting/storage question

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    My $0.02. First and most important, if ethanol is in your gas, dump it and find non ethanol gas. I personally do not believe in those gas additives that stabilize and neutralize ethanol gas. Ethanol and water from the air creates acids in the gas that dissolve the rubber in your carb. If you're not going to use the saw for a while, dump the gas in the tank back into your gas can, start the saw and run all the gas from the carb. Gas goes stale and turns gummy. There are tiny tiny passages in the carb that get get clogged up.

I've been using startron additive for about 14 years now. I have 12 gasoline machines. some 2-stroke some 4. All of them start and run great. I never drain the carbs. But I treat 100% of my fuel with startron. Swear by it. It really works. Some of my machines might not get started for nearly 2 years sometimes. When I pull them out, with the old gas, they just start on first or second pull and purr with no issues. Don't waste your money on that expensive ethanol-free fuel. Just put startron in and forget about it. Now if you've already let ethanol ruin a carb, you'll have to deal with that first. Though startron can "repair" some pulsating, over time if not too bad.

Seafoam can help restore carb function too. As will half a can of carb cleaner mixed in the fuel tank. But there is no easy cure for a badly gummed carb or damaged float.
    Last edited by tom lucas; 10-31-2019 at 9:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Dyas View Post
    Must be a Stihl thing. My MS280 does the same thing. Stihl is suppose to be the best but I won't be buying another. It's always been difficult to start and now the off switch doesn't work. I have to flood it to shut it off.

Edward,
    The off switch problem is very easy to fix. Take the cover off and you will find the grounding wire is either disconnected or has some crud on it not letting it ground out to stop the engine. Using the choke to stop it can lead to a build up in the cylinder. Trust me, it's super easy to fix. It will take less than 5 minutes, and the 280 is a nice little saw.