Thread: Dust Collection for CNC Question

Dust Collection for CNC Question

I know this typically would be discouraged as being too close to the cyclone, but would it work if I put a wye in the pipe right above and right of the CNC to install a gate for the CNC line? I have amazing suction and dust collection at all drops so wouldn’t want a wye here to cause disruption due to turbulence. Just curious on thoughts as this seems to be the easiest place for me to tap into my system and get a pickup for the new CNC. Thanks for your input. Greg

IMG_8673.jpg

IMG_8672.jpg
    Sorry, not sure why it turned sideways.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 10-29-2019 at 6:46 PM.

There's no harm in a little bit of flex back to the CNC so I'd put the drop for it well beyond the last few feet of the inlet to the cyclone. In fact, you need a bit of flex and a, um...flexible way to hang it...over the CNC so it can move with the gantry and not get hung up.

While my space and machine is different, the general idea you see here is very workable in your shop...

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

oh i plan to have flex tube but im limited on ways to tap into the existing duct work. thats why i was wondering if it would be a bad idea to tap in with a wye right near the cyclone. ill plan to look at one of the other spots. thanks
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 10-29-2019 at 8:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There's no harm in a little bit of flex back to the CNC so I'd put the drop for it well beyond the last few feet of the inlet to the cyclone. In fact, you need a bit of flex and a, um...flexible way to hang it...over the CNC so it can move with the gantry and not get hung up.

While my space and machine is different, the general idea you see here is very workable in your shop...

Jim — What size wye and flex duct are you running to spindle? Curious what is recommended for optimal extraction.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 10-29-2019 at 10:39 PM. Reason: fixed tagging
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Jim — What size wye and flex duct are you running to spindle? Curious what is recommended for optimal extraction.
    My duct work at that point in the shop (near the end of the line) is 4" and that's what goes to the CNC. (Main from the cyclone is 7" which steps down to 6" for most of the network with the majority of drops at 5") The Kent Dust Shoe is designed for 4". Do note that this is the ONE tool that you have to be absolutely sure that the duct work/hose is properly grounded. Gary Campbell has an excellent YouTube video about that. Things can get really wonky on a CNC if there is even the slighted bleed of static electricity because of the nature of the electronics.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    oh i plan to have flex tube but im limited on ways to tap into the existing duct work. thats why i was wondering if it would be a bad idea to tap in with a wye right near the cyclone. ill plan to look at one of the other spots. thanks
    Personally, I wouldn't want to disturb the air flow that close to the cyclone. I'd do the drop beyond as noted in my previous. But that's me...
    --

So I emailed with Oneida Air Systems and they said it should be no problem adding in the wye. So, spent some time this weekend getting it all done. Just need to add a light over the CNC now and it is done.

IMG_8754.jpg
    IMG_8773.jpg

Not sure why my photos from the iPhone are turning sideways when they are in portrait orientation. Frustrating. Hopefully you can tell what I ended up with by turning your head a little left. LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images

You're pretty much ready to rock 'n roll!
    --

You're pretty much ready to rock 'n roll!

Yes sir. I was going to get it fired up today but spent the day finalizing the dust piping and then merging my festool vac into my armor bench. I made a separate post about that project. LOL

My duct work at that point in the shop (near the end of the line) is 4" and that's what goes to the CNC. (Main from the cyclone is 7" which steps down to 6" for most of the network with the majority of drops at 5") The Kent Dust Shoe is designed for 4". Do note that this is the ONE tool that you have to be absolutely sure that the duct work/hose is properly grounded. Gary Campbell has an excellent YouTube video about that. Things can get really wonky on a CNC if there is even the slighted bleed of static electricity because of the nature of the electronics.
    Are the Festool vac hoses grounded?

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Are the Festool vac hoses grounded?
    They have both anti-static and non-anti-static versions; the ones that come with the extractors are anti-static...which is the only ones I'd use. It's no fun getting "zapped"!!! But relative to dust collection for a CNC, it's pretty much "mandatory" to be sure there is proper grounding formally because even the tiniest amount of static electricity can make for very wonky things happening.
    --

That will work fine but a 6 x 6 x 4 wye would have caused slightly less disturbance to the main line, if you could have found one.

Congrats on the new toy.

Suction working just fine. Finally making my inaugural cut with the CNC. Wow what a learning curve to get going. LOL

also attached pic showing ground wire discussed above. Grounded back to dust collector.

587DE258-624D-4DA9-9291-499841642612.jpg

17D1A4A8-8BF4-4047-B9E5-641758B173E3.jpg

Looking good, Greg. Yes, there's a learning curve. But you can add complexity in tiny increments while you build the necessary "every job" habits. I started just like in your photo. A very simple sign. And then the same simple sign with some additional thing added. Rinse, repeat...and now I can even spell "CNC" a year and a half later.
    --