Thread: Recommended PEX Cinch Tools?

Recommended PEX Cinch Tools?

I've been using PEX for any remodel or repair projects for at least 10 years now. I switched the the cinch-style rings about 6 years ago because the crimp style were impossible to do in tight spaces due to the throw and length of the crimp tool handles. Over the past couple years I've had trouble getting the Apollo cinch tool I got from Lowes to release after a crimp and finally yesterday pieces of metal fell out and it will not ratchet properly. Reading the reviews on Lowes.com I'm not the only one who has had trouble with this model so I'm looking for other options. I want a reliable tool that I can count on for an emergency repair 30 minutes after Lowes closes the night before a holiday (this has actually happened to me.)

I have one made by HydroPex that has worked well for several years. I imagine I purchased it from Supply House online

The Oetiker style clamps are pretty basic and I wouldnt imagine any tool to have a ton of advantage over the others. I too have always used the copper crimp rings and numerous times have felt the crimper to be an impossible opton in a tight space but with a bit of ingenuity its always worked out. No idea why, and Im sure the suppliers have done their testing, but I feel much better about the solid copper crimp ring. The overwhelming time I use the Oetiker style is on 1" as I only have a 1/2"/3/4" crimper.

Ive yet to be in a spot I cant crimp with that tool though as ive said, ive had to do some head scratching/workarounds a few times

I have a little crimper that works in tight places. It's just two pieces of metal-dies for 1/2 or 3/4, depending on which way the two parts meet each other. One has threaded holes. The other has clearance holes for bolts. The crimp is made with a wrench. It's a little slow, but will fit in almost anywhere. I can't remember who made it, but I think it came off ebay.

I have had little plumbing experience but I have found that the countermen at professional servicing supply houses to have the best knowledge and tools at the ready. Lowes, Home Depot and other consumer oriented retailers, do not and can not offer the needed products plus advice.

Roger, that's a good point. There's a plumbing supply house right down the street who's doors say "wholesale only" but I've been there with a out of town contractor friend and they didn't ask for any proof and were friendly. I might stop in there and ask what they would recommend. In the interim I ordered a well rated cheap tool on Amazon.

Mark, there may be better ring crimp style tools than the one I had but it had ~12" long handles and they had to be opened close to 180 degrees. It was impossible to use under the sink so I switched to the Oetiker style and have been happy with them other than the tool issues. The expansion style seems to be the ultimate way to go but the tool is $$$ and I don't understand the material differences, if any. Someone split the outdoor spigots in this house on a separate meter and used that and I'm afraid to touch it even though there's some I'd like to move.

ProPex (Pex A) expansion sure makes those tight spaces easy. Might be worth looking into if you do much plumbing. I have the Milwaukee expander that comes with the 1/2", 3/4" and 1" tools, and it does 90% of any residential Pex that I find. Dewalt coming out with one is making the prices come down here. Still have to use a few crimp rings when adapting to someone else's Pex B existing lines, but you will find ways to minimize that. Pex A is also a lot faster to make connections for, and the hose is MUCH easier to deal with.