Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Incra Ts-ls or Wixey Digital Fence reader?

I swapped out my SawStop fence for the Incra LS-TS fence about 15 months ago. I got the same 7-9 week delivery estimate, but it came in about 3 weeks.

Comparing the price of the Wixey and Incra is a little apples to oranges. One is a measuring device, the other is a complete fence system.

I kept all my Sawstop fence components, just in case, but at this point absolutely love the Incra LS-TS.

I have a router table in the right side of my table. With the positive stops, on the Incra guide rails, intakes 30 seconds to switch the fence from saw to router mode pr back.

Even with the ruler on my old SawStop rails, I still found myself getting a tape measure out and measuring between the blade and the fence, especially for fine adjustments. Now I use the cursor on the Incra Positioner and have complete confidence in its accuracy.

Would I buy it again, absolutely.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the explanation Clint. Having the notches to register on would make repeating a setting quick & accurate. I think the Wixey is .05 or .1 mm, which is close enough for wood. I work mostly in metric now, but do find it handy to switch to imperial occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Thanks for the explanation Clint. Having the notches to register on would make repeating a setting quick & accurate. I think the Wixey is .05 or .1 mm, which is close enough for wood. I work mostly in metric now, but do find it handy to switch to imperial occasionally.
    The Incra can be sourced in Imperial or Metric. I wish I have bought mine in Metric. I can always convert it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Baulackey View Post
    Thanks Derek. Does your workshop get cold? How does it function then?
    Ash, Perth gets Hot in summer. Temperate in winter. My idea of cold is likely very different from yours

I cannot imagine temperature making a difference.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have never used the Incra but I did own the Wixey for a short period of time. I sold it because I did not like it. It's not a bad product. It just drove me crazy. If I had a micro adjust on the fence it would probably be different because I love my dro on my shaper and planer. I bump my fence into place with my hand and chasing thousands of an inch was aggravating for me. I also remove my fence quite a bit and while putting it back on was not all hard I would obsess over the zeroing it to the blade. I guess I am just old school when it comes to the table saw. Just something to think about. You might love it and it doesn't cost that much to try. The Incra would drive me bonkers also with all the space it takes up to the right of the blade.

Don’t know much about the Wixey gauge but when buying the Indra you’re buying a whole system which for the table saw replaces your existing fence. If you’re happy with your existing fence it seems like overkill to invest in the Incra but I only have experience with a Wixey gauge on my planer. Plenty accurate for wood.

I have both as well....
    I agree with other posters, apples n oranges.
    Do u have a TS fence now? that matters, cause the Incra is a fence, not just a reader.
    The INcra is a positioner, one click of the turnwheel = .001", its sooo easy to get perfect cuts, specially getting dado widths proper.
    The Incra has clamps on both sides of the TS, so its rock solid when tightened down.. most TS fences only have clamp on the working side, so you can get some flex... for most work, thats OK, for very precise work, Incra is prob. perferable.
    The Incra doubles as a router fence, assuming u have a router attached to your TS.
    The Incra takes up a LOT of space, so prepare for that.
    Incra takes a long time to set up and get nutz on accurate. But once u get it, it stays.
    The INcra has special scales you can insert, and make a ton of amazing joinery on the router table, simplified by these custom scales. See the Incra Master Reference guide for details of what can be made with the custom scales, i.e. less thinking.

I would say the biggest downer for the INcra, other than the obvious price, is the long rail that sticks out past the TS.... good pix on Incra site for this.

Also the INcra has some nice accessories to add to make the router fence more versatile.

So, lots to consider, but apples n oranges for the comparison.
    For the price, the Wixey is hard to beat for quick measure. But its NOT a fence, its not a router fence, a joinery system, its not a positioner, its not "quite" as accurate IMO. For most, the accuracy is a non issue, as both are accurate enough. The accuracy of the DRO is just one factor in the real accuracy of the cut.
    I find most TS fences a bit crude...but again, for 90% of users, that is all they need. Hope this helps, as it is a big decision...
    Wixey up n running in an hour or two...
    incra, with router table set up, be prepared for nearly a day to fine tune it...

I have both as well....
    I agree with other posters, apples n oranges.
    Do u have a TS fence now? that matters, cause the Incra is a fence, not just a reader.
    The INcra is a positioner, one click of the turnwheel = .001", its sooo easy to get perfect cuts, specially getting dado widths proper.
    The Incra has clamps on both sides of the TS, so its rock solid when tightened down.. most TS fences only have clamp on the working side, so you can get some flex... for most work, thats OK, for very precise work, Incra is prob. perferable.
    The Incra doubles as a router fence, assuming u have a router attached to your TS.
    The Incra takes up a LOT of space, so prepare for that.
    Incra takes a long time to set up and get nutz on accurate. But once u get it, it stays.
    The INcra has special scales you can insert, and make a ton of amazing joinery on the router table, simplified by these custom scales. See the Incra Master Reference guide for details of what can be made with the custom scales, i.e. less thinking.

I would say the biggest downer for the INcra, other than the obvious price, is the long rail that sticks out past the TS.... good pix on Incra site for this.

Also the INcra has some nice accessories to add to make the router fence more versatile.

So, lots to consider, but apples n oranges for the comparison.
    For the price, the Wixey is hard to beat for quick measure. But its NOT a fence, its not a router fence, a joinery system, its not a positioner, its not "quite" as accurate IMO. For most, the accuracy is a non issue, as both are accurate enough. The accuracy of the DRO is just one factor in the real accuracy of the cut.
    I find most TS fences a bit crude...but again, for 90% of users, that is all they need. Hope this helps, as it is a big decision...
    Wixey up n running in an hour or two...
    incra, with router table set up, be prepared for nearly a day to fine tune it...

20191029_154536.jpg20191029_154623.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    The Incra can be sourced in Imperial or Metric. I wish I have bought mine in Metric. I can always convert it.
    I originally purchased the Imperial TS-LS. When I decided to go metric, I got the conversion kit from Incra and did the switch. Takes a bit of time for the switch out, but I much prefer having that Metric scale.

If I'm trying to cut something to an Imperial measurement, I usually just go for the nearest millimeter. If I feel I absolutely have to match, I'll use the thumbwheel to dial it in. Otherwise the fence stays set precisely on even millimeters. Might be easier to have and use a DRO if you use both measuring systems, but I can see where getting that last micro adjust could be frustrating.

Clint

In review it seems like a lot of people here like the idea of a digital fence. But the only one talked about is the Wixey? (not saying its bad)In a quick review there are others on the market?( I listed some below but I am sure there are others) Are other people using other brands and if so what are your thoughts or recommendations?

Digi-Fence Digital Measuring System
    i-Gaging
    Grizzly
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I have a bunch of Wixey products but have not tried any of the other brands. I had an issue with my first Wixey DRO & Barry Wixey sent me a replacement free of charge. I stick with companies that have great customer service.

Keep in mind as well that unless something has changed the Wixey's resolution is only .005. This would seem to be plenty accurate for woodworking, and likely is for a table saw fence, but is no where near accurate enough for things like shaper spindle height, shaper fence positioning, planer height, and so on. When you start to be able to read in 001" resolution and the wixey limits you to +/- .005 its a colossal fail. We ditched all our wixeys for Igaging (sucks that we couldnt afford a proscale which is by far the best option).

If your considering the cost of the incra I would spend the money on a ProScale way before I would buy the wixey. Wixey is great, fills a need, we have had problems with failure that may have been resolved by now. You get what you pay for. On a budget I'd be looking at Igaging or a custom Bangood DRO for a TS fence, if I were wanting a one and done that reads to .001 or .0005 I would be on a Proscale.

A lot depends on how accurate you want to be and what your work requires. I will say that after having .001 resolution with the Igaging cheapo units if I have a failure I will be buying a Proscale.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Baxter View Post
    I originally purchased the Imperial TS-LS. When I decided to go metric, I got the conversion kit from Incra and did the switch. Takes a bit of time for the switch out, but I much prefer having that Metric scale.

If I'm trying to cut something to an Imperial measurement, I usually just go for the nearest millimeter. If I feel I absolutely have to match, I'll use the thumbwheel to dial it in. Otherwise the fence stays set precisely on even millimeters. Might be easier to have and use a DRO if you use both measuring systems, but I can see where getting that last micro adjust could be frustrating.

Clint
    My DRO's are different brands, including some of these as well as some chinese made ones. From my experience they are all similar in accuracy. One feature to consider when deciding is the 'auto-off' and zeroing capability. For example, on the planer can you easily 'set' the DRO to a given thickness (take a pass, measure, then program that into the DRO and be done). And for me (because I forget a lot), auto off is a must without losing settings (saves the setup as well as the battery). there might be some benefit to having memory settings, but I do not know if any of them do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Baulackey View Post
    Thanks Derek. Does your workshop get cold? How does it function then?
    My shop gets pretty cold. 0 degrees F. And the wixey seems unaffected. Of course I warm the shop up before I start working but the temp fluctuations do not seems to bother it. And mine works great. Very repeatable. Very accurate.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.