Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incra Ts-ls or Wixey Digital Fence reader?

Incra Ts-ls or Wixey Digital Fence reader?

Hey guys, what would you rather, Incra Ts-ls or Wixey Digital Fence reader?

I Think the real question is how long do you want to wait as the Incra has a long wait time, Here is a quote from one site......
    "Estimated availability: Est. 7 - 9 week lead time due to high demand"
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Hey Richard, I don’t mind the wait, but is it worth it, $1400 CAD VS $135 for the Wixey. I can’t find any reliable/recent reviews on either product but they both look interesting. Better than the bump and pray method

I have the TS-LS and wouldn’t consider trading it for the Wixey. When you need to ripcut another matching piece after you’ve moved the fence, it is precise and accurate. It does take up more space with it’s and center mounted carriage, and doing wide rips requires repositioning of that carriage, but I’ve gotten to where anything requiring that type of repositioning is now cut instead with my track saw.

Clint

Thanks Clint

Well, I have the Wixey on my Hammer K3, and it works accurately and reliably. At 1/10th of the price of the Incra, it is a no-brainer.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have used both and find the Wixey to be superior. Very repeatable & easy to use absolute & relative values. I currently have on my Saw Top.

8. I've only used the Wixey and have had it for 5 years without issues. Would easily buy it again if needed.

Thanks Derek. Does your workshop get cold? How does it function then?

Thanks Frank

Perfect Joe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Baxter View Post
    I have the TS-LS and wouldn’t consider trading it for the Wixey. When you need to ripcut another matching piece after you’ve moved the fence, it is precise and accurate. It does take up more space with it’s and center mounted carriage, and doing wide rips requires repositioning of that carriage, but I’ve gotten to where anything requiring that type of repositioning is now cut instead with my track saw.

Clint
    I don't understand how the Incra is more repeatable than the Wixey. Can you explain?

I considered the Incra fence system, but not for long. It's over 10X the price & takes up the whole table to the left of the blade, and that's important real estate. So for me It would have been a matter of paying way more for a lesser product.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I don't understand how the Incra is more repeatable than the Wixey. Can you explain?

I considered the Incra fence system, but not for long. It's over 10X the price & takes up the whole table to the left of the blade, and that's important real estate. So for me It would have been a matter of paying way more for a lesser product.
    The Incra locks into a toothed rack, ensuring it’ll return to the exact same position. With a digital readout, such as the Wixey, you set it to reading which depending on the accuracy of the readout/measuring device could still be a little off. Doubtful it’d be enough difference for woodworkers but you might move it some when locking the fence down. The Incra, has no chance of moving due to the locking racks.

Admittedly, the Wixey would be great if a woodworker wanted to switch between metric and imperial increments, (I had to convert mine to metric), if an individual had the desire/need to do so.

I’m happy with my TS-LS, but would go for something like the Wixey if it were unavailable.

Clint

I have a DRO on other tools that are similar in nature to the TS fence, and would not trade it.

In fact, on my woodrat I originally added an Incra track for indexing/repeat ability. But then switched both X and Y to digital gauges, which work MUCH better.

My TS is a combo machine so the fence comes off frequently, which causes issues with any type of readout.

On my router table I still have an Incra - which supports the fence and guides it while indexing. If I had a router fence that slid square along some other rails, I would go digital on it as well (in fact now that I think about it, it might not be hard to put the router fence on guide rails and add a DRO .... hmmm...)

So anywhere it is possible and the fence is guided by some other means, I have switched to DRO. (also have them on my lathe/mill, and the widebelt). I have spare Incra track sitting in a drawer.

I have one of the very first Wixey DRO units on my Unisaw and Unifence. I bought a readout extension piece for it so it can now be used over the entire length of my 52" Unifence rail and on both sides of the right tilt blade. I can set the fence to a position, make a cut, them move the fence to another position, then later move back to the first position and make a second piece the same size as the first piece, and their cut dimension will be within about .005" of each other when measured with my digital calipers. This is way better than necessary for any woodworking project that I've ever done. The wood changes in size more than that with moisture content changes from day to day.

For my router table, I'm still using my Jointec IPM-1 fence and it is also very accurate and perfectly suited for use with my router table. I once considered buying the Jointec Saw Train product, which works similar to the Incra Fence system, but quickly decided that it would be much less convenient for me if I put it on my Unisaw. I'm very happy that I went with the Wixey system for the Unisaw.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 10-29-2019 at 10:45 AM.