Thread: plate frame reproduction

plate frame reproduction

My daughter-in-law has some plates she got from her grandmother that her late grandfather framed. She has3 framed and an extra plate that does not have the frame and she's asked me to make a frame to match. Photos of original frame attached. I've never made a round frame before, but I told her I would try. I've been looking for a router molding bit that matches but I cannot find one. I did find one that looks close but it's made for a frame only 3/4" wide. These frames are 1- 3/8" wide. Then there is the flute foot bit that might work; thought it's tad long. Photos of bits below too.

Does anyone know where I can find a bit to make this frame? Or how it might be replicated with several bits? The slopes going into the cove are asymmetrical. Rounding over the edges is easy, but it's the slopes that have be stumped.

I'd also rather cut it laying down on the table rather than trying to spin it vertically through a bit.

IMG_1725.jpgIMG_1724.jpgIMG_1723.jpgframe molding bit.jpgflute foot router bit.jpg
    Last edited by tom lucas; 10-28-2019 at 6:07 PM.

There's probably a way to use a set of templates/fixtures to accomplish the job with a router, but I'm betting that frame was turned on a lathe. In fact the marks I can see on it virtually guarantee it.
    Chuck Taylor

Chuck,
    you might be right. I don't know what that didn't dawn on me. Should be pretty easy to turn and get it close. Easy enough to try. Thanks.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    There's probably a way to use a set of templates/fixtures to accomplish the job with a router, but I'm betting that frame was turned on a lathe. In fact the marks I can see on it virtually guarantee it.
    Ayup, thats what I see also. Easy faceplate job.

If I didn't have my CNC, I'd turn that on the lathe as has been stated. Two sided...do the back first for the recesses, reverse and then turn the frame contour. I'd do it the same way on my CNC; back first, flip and then a "moulding" tool path to create the contour. I don't believe I'd be comfortable doing that on a router table or shaper, personally.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...