Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Edgebanding bamboo plywood?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    JR, I’ve not seen that material. The stuff I’ve seen is the next to the left in your pic: lumber core and thick faces. How does the single ply behave? Does it cup across the grain? Does it expand and contract across the grain like wood lumber does?
    It acts similarly to the 3-ply sheets. It actually seems to bow along the grain rather than cup across it if it is going to move, iirc. Controlling moisture absorption/loss is the key to keeping both types flat. I haven't done much with it - a few jobs making shaker style doors using strips of the 3/4" for the rails and styles.
    JR

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I would never use self selfstick for anything other than a build and burn.
    Same here. Even the sun warming up the peel & stick can make unpeel & unstick.

Follow-up...

I've been building these bookcases, using the technique I was asking about -- cutting off the thick face veneer to use for thick edgebanding. It has been working very well.

Bamboo, on the other hand, is not a nice material. It makes lots of splinters. They are the color of skin, so you can't see them. I now only work with gloves on.

It turns out I was overthinking when I worried about bamboo color from different suppliers. This job has taken 10 sheets of bamboo -- so 20 faces. There are color variations within a face, and more variations from sheet to sheet. I think those variations will swamp out variations from different suppliers, so I could have used veneer tape banding. However, my other many objections to veneer banding still stand, so I'm glad I could make the thick banding method work.

Blog Entries
    Can you post some pics? I love the look of bamboo, especially in contemporary pieces.