Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edgebanding bamboo plywood?

Edgebanding bamboo plywood?

I’m going to build some bookshelves from bamboo plywood. The material has rather thick faces— about an eighth inch. I’m thinking I will cut some of that off, and use it as edgebanding. Anybody done that?

You might want to try messaging Brandon Conover. I know he's done some kitchens in bamboo plywood (I have some of the scraps from them) and he may be able to share what he's done about edge banding. He doesn't stop in here very much and is unlikely to see the thread.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jamie,
    You may not be interested in commercial edge banding but this company (Sauers & Company Veneers) has an unbelievable numbers of options. They (Larry Sauers) even cut some 1/16" think veneers for me. If you are looking for thicker, he may have it or be willing to cut it for you. Anyway, just an idea.

https://sveneers.com/wood-veneers/wo...-edge-banding/

Jim

I have used single ply edge grain bamboo for people who didn't want to see the core. The faces have the thin 1/8 - 1/4" strips and the edges have the full 3/4" bamboo slice. I've not edge banded it, but the face layer would look good on the typical plygrass bamboo, imho.
    JR

Jim, I'm concerned about matching the color of the banding to the color of the plywood. This job is that color often called "caramelized". Looking at pics on the web, it seems that each manufacturer has it's own idea of what that means. I'm concerned that using sheet good from one source, and edgebanding from a different source, will give me unmatched colors.

JR, I'm not quite clear what you're describing. It sounds like the sheet comes pre-edgebanded. If that is true, I'd be stuck when I cut parts from the interior of the sheet. For instance, I'll be a making about a sheet-and-a-half's worth of shelves.

Blog Entries
    I think your idea to cut some of the face off the sheet to use as edge banding is a good one. Then your more sure of a good match in grain and color.

Blog Entries
    If I'm correct you are using what I have with such a thick face we call Boo-ply. You can cut off the face but I'm not sure it will stay together after being cut.

I was going to use what I have left for floating shelves...good luck on your project

Blog Entries
    I've cut bamboo board as thin as 3/16 & it held together very well, so I think 1/8 thick would be fine as long as you're reasonably careful handling it until it gets glued in place.

Blog Entries
    They sell it in a veneer if he can find some...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    JR, I'm not quite clear what you're describing. It sounds like the sheet comes pre-edgebanded. If that is true, I'd be stuck when I cut parts from the interior of the sheet. For instance, I'll be a making about a sheet-and-a-half's worth of shelves.
    It is a sheet glued up with a single layer of bamboo strips on edge. So the front and back of the sheet is the "edge grain" 1/8" to 1/4". The long cuts from the sheet would show a full 3/4" wide piece of bamboo "face grain" The crosscuts would show the end grain in a vertical orientation. I'll see if I have any around to get a picture.

Not the best, but the front sheet is the single ply:
    Last edited by J.R. Rutter; 10-29-2019 at 5:48 PM.
    JR

Do you guys prefer edge banding that is peel-n-stick or iron-on better?

Iron-on/hot melt is generally going to be more durable than so-called self stick. The latter really, really likes the cleanest, smoothest surface to adhere to, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

JR, I’ve not seen that material. The stuff I’ve seen is the next to the left in your pic: lumber core and thick faces. How does the single ply behave? Does it cup across the grain? Does it expand and contract across the grain like wood lumber does?
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 10-30-2019 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    Do you guys prefer edge banding that is peel-n-stick or iron-on better?
    I would never use self selfstick for anything other than a build and burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Iron-on/hot melt is generally going to be more durable than so-called self stick. The latter really, really likes the cleanest, smoothest surface to adhere to, too.
    That’s what I thought- I’ve never used self-stick but I’ve used a lot of iron-on. Easy to put on, move if necessary, or remove.