Thread: Blue Spruce Squares

Blue Spruce Squares

I just got an email from Blue Spruce, Don't know if these are something new to Blue Spruce but I really like the look of these. I already use a woodpeck saddle square for this purpose so not in the market but really tempting.

https://bluesprucetoolworks.com/coll...51564244211052

Looks like they have a line of marking tools using the same materials.

Blog Entries
    They look nice, but for that kind of money one can buy quite a few good ones used.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

3. 20191028_172707.jpg

I bought these recently. They are exquisite, but I do feel a little indulgent.

Beautiful tools and I'd imagine they all work well. Expensive? Sure, but we can all spend however much or not we want to. What works for one may not work for someone else.
    David

Heck of a lot less money than Vesper adjustable squares.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Beautiful tools and I'd imagine they all work well. Expensive? Sure, but we can all spend however much or not we want to. What works for one may not work for someone else.
    That is so very true. Often the esthetic feel for the instruments of our pursuits do play a roll in our end results. It might be a nineteenth century saw or a twenty-first century artisan example of a beautiful tool influencing a user's efforts.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I think I have quite enough squares, for now...
    Wooden squares 1.JPG
    Wooden squares, bevel gauge.JPG
    I tend to prefer the Rosewood,Brass, and Steel ones.....(including a Winchester made one..)

Didn't woodpecker just buy blue spruce?

I like to use hardened awls and knives for layout, I would be worried that hardened tools would eventually burnish, wear or perhaps cut the much softer blade. In my carpentry career, even steel squares are subject to wear. So as nice and light and eye catching as these squares might be, to me, the cost is outweighed by the risk.