Thread: Travel mug liner source??

Travel mug liner source??

I've been making travel mugs off and on for a couple years now. Due to my limited disability income I had been buying the travel mugs from Hobby Lobby or Micheal's with the plastic liner and stainless insert for usually $2.99-$4.99 as an affordable option compared to the $12-$13 they cost from other woodworking suppliers. The plastic liners are easily removed and the steel liner is ready to use.

Lately none of the local Hobby Lobby, Michael's, or Christmas Tree Shoppe store are currently carrying them. I have an order to make a few and I have a couple upcoming christmas craft shows that I can usually sell some at. But in my area at crafts shows the going rate is around $35-$40. So, the $12-$13 dollar cost eats in to what little profit is possible.

Are any of you getting travel mug liners from other affordable sources?

Thanks
    Ricc

I get mine from discountmugs dot com. Item ST33

I also get mine from Discountmugs. Like you said, remove the plastic liner and you're ready to go. Make sure you buy enough to get the shipping waved or your cost goes way up.

How hard is it to get the plastic liner off them?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris A Lawrence View Post
    There is a small screw on the bottom that you must remove. Sometimes I have to heat the plastic liner to loosen it from the liner and I do this with a heat gun (paint gun from Harbor Freight) and this only takes a few seconds. In addition, there is a rubber gasket attached to the liner that I remove.

I've never made these but remember some mentioning going to Walmart for travel mugs and harvesting the liners.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Chris A Lawrence View Post
    Chris, it's easy. Remove the screw on the bottom (usually hidden under a thin layer of rubber). Instead of using a heat gun like Chris (as I don't have a heat gun) I roll the top lip of the cup just below the steel rim along the edge of my workbench. With a little pressure as your roll the plastic will crack and you will be able to pull the liner off.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Force View Post
    I get mine from discountmugs dot com. Item ST33
    Thanks Sam and Greg! I'll check them out. If anyone has other sources let us all know.
    Last edited by Ricc Havens; 10-29-2019 at 10:22 AM.

I do a similar method as you and get mine at Big Lots. Website shows they have one in Elkhart.
    I've got lots of practice at making firewood!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Darrah View Post
    I do a similar method as you and get mine at Big Lots. Website shows they have one in Elkhart.

Forgot to include them in my original post. I had checked two area Big Lots and had no luck. THANKS!

If you only need a few, you may want to periodically check the local Goodwill or Salvation Army store. I have found mugs in excellent condition for $1 - $2 each. After you remove the screw on the bottom, you have what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mellott View Post
    If you only need a few, you may want to periodically check the local Goodwill or Salvation Army store. I have found mugs in excellent condition for $1 - $2 each. After you remove the screw on the bottom, you have what you need.

Steve, thanks for the input. In the past I have checked Goodwill and garage sales. But, usually find that the lids show signs of use like small dents in the steel lip or scratches, or the rubber seal around the lid is very worn. So I don't want to make one to sell at craft shows or give as a gift if it looks used.

Have you tried eBay??
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Thomas View Post
    Have you tried eBay??

Dean, I did check Ebay. But the only "kits" I could find were still $10 or more. The individual plastic mugs with stainless liners can be found on Ebay but I didn't see any that you could buy in quantities. About all I saw were single unit sale listings for mugs with some sort of log people thought might have collector value and they were usually $4 or more plus shipping for each listing. So that would get expensive.

Thanks for the idea.