Thread: trouble with CA glue

trouble with CA glue

having issues with the glue joint strength. I have maybe a 75% success rate with the joints. I would expect it to be 100%...

I have found that, despite what most people say, that using a ton of water and a ton of glue has given the strongest joint so far.

Can anyone offer any suggestions to improve the gluing process?

thank you,
    DW
    Last edited by dustin wassner; 10-28-2019 at 8:10 PM.
    DW

2. I don't know what effect water has on CA glue, but you can use a spray chemical activator for immediate setting of the CA.

It may just be me but nothing about the combination of wood, “a ton of (CA) glue and a ton of water” screams of getting consistently satisfactory results. If your materials or processes are not getting the results you need, you need to change one or both to get them.

A bit more information would help with troubleshooting. Can you post photos? What species are you using? What is the moisture content? What type of CA are you using? What criteria are you using to determine your failure rate? What kind of stress do the joints see in use?

Generally a moderate spread of glue with minimal squeezeout should work, added water or accelerator will speed setting time. Thin gluelines cure better than thick ones "Dunking" may cause swelling and compromise the joint.

You might try CA on one side of the joint and a spritz o accelerator on the other, or a spritz of accelerator on the squeezeout after assembly. Or another adhesive- would hot melt work for the task?

A link to more info: https://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazi...ch_ca_glue.htm

On something like that a dab of glue is all you need and you shouldn't have squeeze out.

Another cool trick is to put a tiny little bit of baking soda on 1 part and CA glue on the other. Put them together and instant bond in 5-10 sec.
    Baking soda acts as an activator also.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Blog Entries
    You need to supply more information. CA glue comes in a variety of viscosities which will affect how it performs on a porous substrate such as wood. Which viscosity is the glue you are using? Are you using a primer or activator? My experience with water near CA glue is that it makes a mess and weakens the bonds.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Sounds like you are submerging the parts in glue and water. That is way too much glue. It needs a thin glue line to cure properly. You m,ay have to wait. afew days for it too cure at the thickness you seem to be using.
    BILL D

Blog Entries
    I've not had good results from saturating the joint with water. As a substitute for accelerator, a solution of baking soda & water, lightly spritzed on the joint works.

When I use Gorilla Glue I wipe one side with a damp sponge and spread glue on the other. Good results.

Either it wasn’t that important or the OP didn’t care for the answers. He hasn’t been back since shortly after he posted the question .

Why are you choosing CA? In my experience, it's almost useless unless your mating surfaces are almost machinist precise and smooth. It's too brittle for any type of space filling.

I think CA glues are better suited for non-porous applications especially if a thin layer of adhesive is called for. If you are gluing wood, use wood glue.

I use medium or thick CA that I get from Stew-Mac for a lot of things, but generally not wood to wood. It's great for gluing brass dots into holes in a fretboard, or for any other kind of inlay work on that kind of small scale. I let it sit for 1/2 hour to dry before I machine the dots level, or if I've mixed it with wood dust and used it around larger inlays I let it dry overnight. I have not had much luck with the water-thin CA, it often seems not to bond for me.
    Zach