Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: comparing two options of side rabbet panes?

comparing two options of side rabbet panes?

I did a search and did not find much. Can anyone comment on the utility of the Veritas 2-in-1 side rabbet plane vs. the Lie-Nielsen 98/99? I own the 98/99 and have always found them a little fiddly to adjust and keep sharp. I also like the Veritas because I like the idea of only having to maintain a single tool. Has anyone tried both and your thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Mine are the Stanley 98/99 pair, pretty much the same as the Lie-Nielsen pair.

To me the advantage is the depth stop doesn't have to be changed each time the direction of use is changed.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I prefer the Stanley #79.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marinus Loewensteijn View Post
    One of my regrets in life is selling my #79.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I have the LN 98/9 and have been very pleased with them. I have occasional issues with hand sharpening them. If I do my part I am ok. I recently bought the LN honing gauge which I have been very pleased with and am fixin' to to buy the skew blade jigs for it. That should help me work up to the quality of the tool.

Comparison of all the side rabbet planes ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...bbetPlane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Marinus Loewensteijn View Post
    +1. I have the LN 98/99 and the Stanley 79. I mostly use the 79. Works better.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thank you, Derek. This is exactly the kind of detailed comparison I was looking for.

I had actually never seen the 79. I would be curious to try one. It looks like the Ebay prices are not too outrageous. However, the requirement to retract one blade before moving in the other direction seems like a distinct disadvantage.

I'll be at a Lee Valley next week and will hopefully be able to handle their version. When I look at it more closely it seems that the sharpening is probably no easier for that tool so it would not solve one of the annoyances I have.

In order for complete disclosure: Due to arthritis I no longer have the #79 and am using a 1/2" #39 instead for simple dado's. Unfortunately the #39 does not help me with a long dovetail.... (and I use the #39 as a shoulder plane....). Compromises, compromises....

If you go looking for a #79, try an find a second fence for it. I use mine, with a modified fence, for slicing away sidewalls to create or fine tune sliding dovetails. It can do both the male- and femaie joint ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...Stanley79.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I had actually never seen the 79. I would be curious to try one. It looks like the Ebay prices are not too outrageous. However, the requirement to retract one blade before moving in the other direction seems like a distinct disadvantage.
    The necessity of retracting the blade when moving in the other direction is arguable. Mine seemed to work fine with both blades set to cut. The part about the #79 that is more to my liking than the other two in one designs is the depth stop doesn't have to be moved each time the direction of use is changed.

jtk

Thanks for all the info. I just bought a 79 for $50 on Ebay. Will report.

Quote Originally Posted by Günter VögelBerg View Post
    I don't retract the "other" blade when I use mine.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    If you go looking for a #79, try an find a second fence for it. I use mine, with a modified fence, for slicing away sidewalls to create or fine tune sliding dovetails. It can do both the male- and femaie joint ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...Stanley79.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
    +1 If you like doing hand tool joinery, particularly for case work, sliding dovetails are both one of the most useful joints and for me also one of the most difficult to tune to good fit (At least it is for me). Derek's tip about adding angled fence to the 79 was for me incredibly useful in learning to execute sliding DT's. Highly recommended!

An angled fence can also be added to the 98/99 depth stops as shown in this picture. I epoxied a piece of Corian to the depth stop and it works like a champ.

fullsizeoutput_bd.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images