Thread: New - Veritas Hand Jointer

Thumbs up New - Veritas Hand Jointer

Now this looks interesting for those who deal with smaller scale work.

This hand jointing accessory for the Veritas medium and large shoulder planes lets you bring the work to the plane instead, giving you better control of the cut.

05P4180-veritas-hand-jointer-u-0146.jpg

05P4180-veritas-hand-jointer-f-0170.jpg
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

2. I'm having trouble understanding the use case for this tool. To me it seems like a solution looking for a problem.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Günter VögelBerg View Post
    I'm having trouble understanding the use case for this tool. To me it seems like a solution looking for a problem.
    Many have used this solution in the past when encountering various problems:

Plane in Vise up.jpg

With a fence mounted on the bench it can work like a jointer. The fence can be angled to make a controlled chamfer.

If a person has a use for this kind of apparatus, it is also likely they should have the skill to build one.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Many have used this solution in the past when encountering various problems:

Plane in Vise up.jpg
    I do the same as Jim. I wonder how this accessory will sell?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I do the same as Jim. I wonder how this accessory will sell?
    It would have been great if the bed was adjustable with a protractor to set the angles.

Patrick Leach had a used shoot board listed that is able to set the angle on two axis at the same time.

http://www.supertool.com/forsale/oct/f1.jpg

Found the link.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 10-28-2019 at 8:57 PM. Reason: Added link
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

It has the Veritas branding... of course it will sell!
    Best regards,

Ron

You haven't really been lost until you've been lost at Mach 2!

You can make a custom end stopped dado in a piece of wood for a particular project, mount it in a vise or between dogs and use a plane the way it was intended, keeping your fingers away from the blade.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Ya know, it just occurred to me that I should be able to use my shooting board and shooting plane tp do what this new accessory does. I'll try that tonight and see....
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

9. Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Ya know, it just occurred to me that I should be able to use my shooting board and shooting plane tp do what this new accessory does. I'll try that tonight and see....
    I clamp a rafter square onto the shooting board to provide a temporary fence parallel to the plane.

I've occasionally used Jim's approach. For me, the problem is to avoid cutting myself. I'm pushing the workpiece past the plane, with my finger kinda hooked over the end to provide pushing force. The wood exits the blade and snaps forward. The pushing finger hits the blade. Blood and bad words follow.

When I run small parts, like that, I use the erasers on two pencils as push sticks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I've occasionally used Jim's approach. For me, the problem is to avoid cutting myself. I'm pushing the workpiece past the plane, with my finger kinda hooked over the end to provide pushing force. The wood exits the blade and snaps forward. The pushing finger hits the blade. Blood and bad words follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    When I run small parts, like that, I use the erasers on two pencils as push sticks.
    My reply to Jamie was also going to be about using a push stick.

jtk

Blog Entries
    Could I not clamp a shoulder plane or #10 to the bench from the rear and accomplish the same thing? Perhaps I'm missing something, and probably am.

I'm always surprised how well designed and reasonable priced Veritas products are. At $36 it looks to be another good value from Veritas. And the amount of Veritas product made outside of China is a nice bonus. Bespoked squares for $150 seem a little silly in comparison....

Blog Entries
    Bespoked squares for $150 seem a little silly in comparison....
    My bespoked squares cost a lot less. They were made by me:

Dovetail Square & Saw Handle.jpg

Not as pretty as the ones costing $150, but it works fine. This one was given to my grandson when he was interested in cutting dovetails.

jtk