Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pipe Clamps

I'm with Mike as well. "Parallel" clamps are not all they are cracked up to be in my opinion but have maintained traction since the new yankee workshop craze.
    "Parallel" is in quotes because they are nearly never truely parallel. As said, they are heavy, cumbersome and awkward to use, they are fussy with regards to glue on the beams, and are woefully underpowered. Then factor in they are 3x to 4x the cost and it gets worse.

Thankfully we only have 4 in the shop, two were free on a tool buy. I too would trade them off in a heartbeat. If I were insisting on having any I'd be looking for trigger actuated slide like the jets. The two besseys we have are a pain to use.

For us other components or practices in your work define square and parallel so the clamping isnt what keeps your end product square with the world.

When using parallel clamps and the glue up is difficult and I need one more clamp but I can't get a grip as my hand doesn't fit between clamps, I'm tempted to cut all the handles off, weld on a hex nut, and use a ratchet wrench and socket.

I have the combination of the Bessey parallel 48" and 18" clamps, various length pipe clamps with spare pipe sections and last Xmas treated myself to some 24 & 36" Dubuque clamps. I find the Bessey's to be a pitn to handle, especially in any kind of awkward positions. I also agree that they are underpowered. I have had to use a pipe clamp to close things up and then set the Bessey to hold it closed. The Dubuque's are great, handle really well and my go to's but they are shallow jaws.

Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall View Post
    When using parallel clamps and the glue up is difficult and I need one more clamp but I can't get a grip as my hand doesn't fit between clamps, I'm tempted to cut all the handles off, weld on a hex nut, and use a ratchet wrench and socket.
    Would be handy for sure in tight spacing but my guess is if people were able to apply much more torque than the supplied handles can provide the clamps and innards wouldnt last very long. Im sure they put those style handles on there for a reason. To limit the amount of torque an average person can apply because the clamps just wont handle more. Thats the other bonus of the Pony(now yost) clamps, super tight spacing, and you can still reef them down.

Then the whole drama starts about over-clamping/starving a joint, which is simply not possible with PVA regardless of clamp type. You could reef any clamp down as hard a possible spaced as close as possible and still not be applying specified clamping force.

Some of the problem can be slightly inaccurate jointing. I always joint one face to fence, next face out. Has to be some real good reason for me to spend any time to get that moment of square fence perfection. And I always
    make hollow joints for gluing, but obviously they must be slight when there are a number of pieces. Sometimes the pipe
    clamps are needed just because none of the bar clamps are long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    but obviously they must be slight when there are a number of pieces.
    For sure,... Im a fan of spring joints myself but when the glue up is a half a dozen or more boards wide in a single glue up that become quite a production and 6-10 cumulative spring joints will make for a bunch of stress problems in the part on its own so if theres more than one or two we just go with dead straight as long as there are zero gaps on the ends.

Poor fitment is just plain poor fitment and will never be corrected by forcing poorly jointed stock into submission.

YO Mark ! Sometimes perfectly straight today ...is slightly open ends tomorrow morning. You know that ....but some may not have
    "had the pleasure" yet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William A Johnston View Post
    Well it seams to me that parralel clamps are what I need to invest in. I've decided to get a few parralel clamps and a few universal clamps to try them out. I have around 40 pipe clamps so I'm sure they won't go to waist. It's just like everything in this hobby is you can't afford to get what you really want at first then you end up buying it later wishing you would have spent the money in the front end.

Thanks for all the tips.

Bill
    Nothing wrong with investing in a few parallel but don't get caught up in them... When the big clearance sale went on I bought all Sears had at 50% off. I had a truck full. after one week I kept 4 and took the rest back... I use them for dovetail drawers, etc small stuff..

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    YO Mark ! Sometimes perfectly straight today ...is slightly open ends tomorrow morning. You know that ....but some may not have
    "had the pleasure" yet.
    Yep. Thats when its time to cut it apart and start over ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Bill I have to say that I have 10 Jorgeson parallel clamps that very rarely actually get used. I have 40 or so pipe clamps that are used all the time if you were closer I would trade,Personally I hate parallel clamps. Heavy ,clumsy and expensive, with half the clamping force of my pipe clamps. I would buy only one or two to figure out if you like them better before jumping off the cliff . YMMV.

2nd that. I bought one parallel clamp 3 years ago and used it twice. I have 20 or so pipe clamps and unions that let me make up 16' clamps if I need em.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.