Thread: Finishing with Arm-R-Seal Satin

Finishing with Arm-R-Seal Satin

I am re-finishing a Parota slab dining table. I want a durable finish and have chosen arm-r-seal based on past experience.

I purchased the arm-r-seal satin finish. I discovered that, for best results, the satin finish should be applied last over gloss finish undercoats. Reportedly the satin flattening agents create some cloudiness. It's a major hassle for me to obtain the gloss finish product, as we are in Mexico and it cannot be air freighted or it costs about 4x from amazon.

So my chosen options are to apply the satin finish only or to apply an undercoat of Minwax Tung Oil Finsh, which I have on hand.

Has anyone used Arm-r-seal satin finish, say 3 coats, and been disappointed in the appearance?

Plan B, with the tung oil finish undercoat, would eliminate one coat of the satin product and perhaps avoid or lessen cloudiness.

It is a beatiful slab and I would like my finishing process to be top-notch.

Your input would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

I would stick with Arm-R-Seal for all coats. If you're able to get semi-gloss, that should do the trick just fine. I've honestly never noticed the cloudiness from multiple satin coats. I have, however, experienced crazing multiple times putting a final satin coat on very glossy undercoats. So semi-gloss undercoats followed up final satin coat is now my preferred regimen.

Another thing you could do - if you don't feel like buying a separate can of Arm-R-Seal - is use the glossy liquid on the top of an un-stirred can of satin. Beware that once you do stir, the sheen will be a little flatter than satin.

I'm glad to hear you have been ok with multiple satin coats. That seems the best way to proceed.

Not stirring seems a little risky. I wonder if only flattening agents are at the bottom of the container and not stirring would degrade the product. I do not see contact info for General Finishes to ask this question.

Yes it's only flattening agents down there. That's why you don't have to stir (clear) gloss finishes.

The flattening agents don't effect the durability of the finish. So you could stir your can of finish really well and then pour part of it into another jar. With one of the two jars let the flattening agents settle out and use that for your base coats. Then apply the finish coats using the satin in the other jar.

In my experience, with 3 coats of ARS it makes no difference if all the coats are satin, but if you have 5 or 6 coats it does.

John

I've got 5-6 (kind of lost track) thin coats on and I am very pleased with the appearance. The first two coats decanted from the top of the gallon jug and the remainder well stirred to get the flattening agents in.

Now I am wondering when to stop. This wood has large pores, most pronounced in the colored areas with natural sheen/figuring. These are not filled completely, which to me improves the appearance. But ... it is a dining table. What do you think??

20191102_160012.jpg

Gallon jug of Arm-R-Seal? I never knew that until I just read your post then looked on Amazon; by golly they do and at a huge savings over buying it by the quart.

Your question is one you might better have asked of yourself before you switched to the satin. I suppose you could still go back to gloss to finish filling the pores, if that's what you want to do, and then go back to satin for the final couple of coats. Do you need to fill the pores completely? Not if there is enough finish in them to seal the wood. If you put a drop of water on the area where the pores are and it soaks in then you need to apply more finish. If the drop of water just sits there for an hour then it's sealed and adding more finish to further fill the pores is personal preference. Me? I like to see the grain on most open grain woods.
    John