Thread: Slabbing in KC

Slabbing in KC

I'm looking for someone in the Kansas City area with a LucasMill or similar slabbing setup who can help with a 4' dia. white oak log.
    TIA
    Cory

Contact Nathan Nowak at www.WyCoWoodCo.com He is in KCK but mobile. He has a Lucas swing-blade mill with the slabbing attachment, and the planing attachment. (816) 244-5505

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hogard View Post
    Contact Nathan Nowak at www.WyCoWoodCo.com He is in KCK but mobile. He has a Lucas swing-blade mill with the slabbing attachment, and the planing attachment. (816) 244-5505
    Thanks Tom!

Nathan at WyCo WoodCo did an awesome job, we got 13 slabs all about 3" thick 4' wide and 8'+ long.
    Thanks again for the great referral Tom!

Also - Tom, your youtube channel is a great resource!

Cory,
    Thanks for the compliment, and the feedback on Nathan. He was actually one of my clients who caught the bug and ended up buying his own sawmill. Since I started in 2011, I have been the only active mobile bandsaw mill in the KC Metro area (a lot of people buy "portable mills", yet take them home and never move them), covering over 15,000 square miles. I frequently got requests to mill logs that were way too large for my TK B20. Fortunately, there was a guy with a chainsaw mill who was about 20 miles away, and able to cut up to 66" wide.

With the addition of Nathan's swing blade mill, there isn't likely a log in this area that one of us can't handle, especially due to size or accessibility. I, for one, have never been worried about competition. Years ago, if a log was too large, or too difficult to get to, it may have become firewood, but not lumber. I still get calls for logs I can't handle (my website and google searches are very productive), and I generate several referrals per week for Nathan and Matt (Roberts - Dog Holler Custom Slabbing). Before, if I couldn't help them, a log owner may have given up but, with the range of abilities we now have in the area, it is likely that log gets milled. That client tells someone else, more logs get milled, and so on. "A rising tide lifts all ships" sort of thing.