Thread: RALI Planes and Chisels?

RALI Planes and Chisels?

I've been watching a YouTube series by a Frenchman named Oliver Verdier where he fabricates a wonderful cutting board/prep station from Beech. In the process he's using a series of hand planes by a swiss company called RALI. They have an interesting take on the design, with a fabricated assembly rather than a cast body, and the use of double edged replaceable blades that remind me of a cross between a utility knife blade and a double edged razor. I'm not planning on switching from my traditional designs but I thought these were clever. Any Creekers familiar with this company?

https://www.rali-shop.com/
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Designed to be used by carpenters. Been around a long time.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Here's an OLD thread that may help: LINK

The Rali's dont seem like my cup of tea, but to each their own.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I guess I just don’t get out much.

One of my first purchases was a block plane and "Jack" from Rali. I keep the block plane next to my woodstove for starter shavings.

Interesting mechanism for setting depth, prone to rust (like all metal things in my house) and an unfortunately narrow blade that is difficult to sharpen.

They work surprisingly well and are a very clever solution for making plane bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I guess I just don’t get out much.
    Naaaah. You just hadn't run into these before. Heck, they might be the greatest thing since sliced bread - how would you know unless you either tried one or asked like you did?
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    It seems the blade has no lateral adjustment. This is great if you can always do a perfect job of keeping the edge at 90º.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It seems the blade has no lateral adjustment. This is great if you can always do a perfect job of keeping the edge at 90º.

jtk
    We laughed about these planes 30 years ago; I am surprised they are still in business. They are designed for the guy who has plenty of money and no skill.

You don't actually sharpen the blades. You throw them away. Ten new blades for $35.

I have one of the little 105 models that I bought probably 20+ years ago. It lives in my carpentry kit, but I pull it out when I need to trim a bit of plywood or even sometimes plastic. In other words, stuff I prefer not to use a better plane on. For that it works pretty well. I certainly wouldn't pay $100 bucks for one now. No idea what I paid for it, but I'm sure it was cheap at the time.

10. These are common in Europe, but they are mostly a carpenter's tool for fitting doors and such. I have never used one.

I believe they are easily the ugliest hand planes ever made..

I work for a company based out of Zurich. On my travels there, I have picked up a couple of the Rali planes as well as the replacement blades. The "block" plane is good for scraping dried glue. That's about it. I have since gotten rid of the 4 that I had. They were just OK, and nothing spectacular.

Maybe related to the Sargent No. 600?

Quote Originally Posted by Günter VögelBerg View Post
    These are common in Europe, but they are mostly a carpenter's tool for fitting doors and such.
    They have that "throw me in a tool bag" look to them so that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Günter VögelBerg View Post
    I believe they are easily the ugliest hand planes ever made..
    I'd have to agree. They have all the visual appeal of a paint scraper. Still, an interesting take on construction.