First off, props to Joel Cervera for his QSWO Mantel/cabinet project posted here a while back. It inspired this project.

My version will be in Cherry, with simple solid wood panels inset 1/4" from the frames. I am going for the clean lines and simplicity of Shaker Style, without necessarily adhering strictly to all elements of that style. For example, I don't really care for shaker knob pulls, so will do something else.

I am fairly satisfied with the overall design, but not so much with the cabinet. Current thinking is to have two doors and two drawers in the cabinet (the overview shows an earlier model). I've included images of three variations below. I'm not going to say which is my favorite but I'm not completely satisfied with any of them. I'm not even really sure what bothers me other than a general dissatisfaction with the proportions and "clunkieness"? I've thought of several other variants, but thought I would ask for advice here at this point. I'm seeking advice and suggestions on all aspects.

This image is to provide context of the room setting and the constraints.

Mantel.jpg

The overall dimensions of the top are 148" long, by 10 1/2" deep, extending to 17 1/2" deep over the cabinet. The top is 48" from the brick base. The cabinet proper is 36" wide and 15" deep.

Here's concept one:

Mantel Detailed.jpg

Concept two:

Mantel Detailed Type 2.jpg

And three:

Mantel Detailed Type 3.jpg

Fire away, no holds barred.