Thread: Varathane polyurethane?

Varathane polyurethane?

Our local HD quit selling Min-Wax products and is selling Varathane products now. Anybody use their products for furniture?

I preferred using HD as a supplier for the Min-Wax products as they had a high enough turnover that I felt buying there gave me a chance of getting a relatively fresh product. I can buy Min-Wax at a local hardware store but I am not confident they sell enough to provide a source of relatively fresh finish?

Anybody successfully using Varathane poly? If so, any tricks or suggestions?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Lowe’s still sells minwax, if you have one of those near you.

My local Sherwin Williams carries Min-Wax products(SW owns Min-Wax). That said I've not used the Varathane poly, but I love their gel stains. They work much than Min-Wax gel stains. Local Lowe's carries Min-Wax also.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Thanks for the input guys! I'll have to try the local SW stores for the Min-Wax products.

The nearest Lowes is 110 miles away.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I so rarely use an oil based product, but I did have a project earlier this year where I used the Varathane polyurethane varnish, both brushed on and thinned and wiped on. Worked fine for my application. Honestly, I doubt there's very much difference between the various retail products like that...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ken, it looks like there’s an Ace Hardware in your town? All the Aces near me still sell the Minwax oil based poly. I don’t like the Varathane quite as much, but I really like their WB poly.

Speaking only for the Varathane water based polyurethane, I think it is excellent.

+1 to Edwin's comment: I have used Varathane water based poly and it is really easy to use and produces a fine result.

I think Jim’s right, there is probably no noticeable difference between the two. The ace down the street from me carries minwax. That’s where I got my last container of it.

I am a big fan of Minwax poly acrylics. Not so for Varathane. The only time I used Varathane it stayed milky.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Our local HD quit selling Min-Wax products and is selling Varathane products now. Anybody use their products for furniture?

I preferred using HD as a supplier for the Min-Wax products as they had a high enough turnover that I felt buying there gave me a chance of getting a relatively fresh product. I can buy Min-Wax at a local hardware store but I am not confident they sell enough to provide a source of relatively fresh finish?

Anybody successfully using Varathane poly? If so, any tricks or suggestions?
    Actually I have a pretty low opinion of Minwax products. Their stains are prone to fade and the Helmsman spar varnish is one of the worst on the market. I don't use their polyurethane so I can't comment. I have used varathane products over the years and have no complaints.