View Poll Results: Do you still have a Sears store close to home?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

12 29.27%
  • NO

29 70.73%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a Sears in your town?

It's sad... But Sears is history. At one time it was my go to store.
    Today even if we had one I would stay away. Sure went down hill.

Blog Entries
    I still have one near me. I bought a center 4 drawer tool box about 4 years ago. I actually purchased online and picked up in store. I was told the sale price was not available in store and I had to purchase online and pick up. So I did. When I arrived to pick up the box it took over an hour for someone to pull it and bring it to the pickup counter by the back door. There were three of them on the sales floor but I was not able to pick it up at the register and had to drive around back to the pickup counter. I am certain the one I got was pulled from the floor because there is only a very small stock room at the location... I learned my lesson and have not been back. I have no idea how they are still open, you need to be extremely motivated to actually buy something.

Blog Entries
    I learned my lesson and have not been back. I have no idea how they are still open, you need to be extremely motivated to actually buy something.
    This seems to be the case in more and more retail establishments. Could it be that half a century ago many kids grew up around their parents in a mom & pop establishment and learned the value of being attentive to customers. Today's kids do not have the same 'values' training kids from the 1950s & '60s obtained.

Recently in a nationally advertised sandwich shop my wife wanted to order a sandwich which was being promoted in their commercials. The shop was empty. We could hear a couple of people in the back giggling. We called out a few times and finally started to leave. My wife was half way out the door when someone came out and greeted us. My wife turned around and said, "you snooze, you lose."

She ordered the sandwich at another location on a later date. It wasn't as impressive as the commercial made it out to be.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It wasn't as impressive as the commercial made it out to be.
    Words to live by.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

We had a Sears Home Store until last year. It served the entire county.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Recently in a nationally advertised sandwich shop my wife wanted to order a sandwich which was being promoted in their commercials. The shop was empty. We could hear a couple of people in the back giggling. We called out a few times and finally started to leave. My wife was half way out the door when someone came out and greeted us. My wife turned around and said, "you snooze, you lose."

She ordered the sandwich at another location on a later date. It wasn't as impressive as the commercial made it out to be.

jtk
    Sadly, I see this attitude almost universally. Most employees, of any sort, I encounter, have the attitude of "getting through their shift." When did we, as a society, quit teaching the work ethic of doing what is best for our employers while we're on the job?
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Sadly, I see this attitude almost universally. Most employees, of any sort, I encounter, have the attitude of "getting through their shift." When did we, as a society, quit teaching the work ethic of doing what is best for our employers while we're on the job?
    I imagine a few things go into the "payday and quittin' time" mentality. One is workers feeling like a replaceable cog in a machine rather than a valuable individual. If Those That Matter (who I seldom if ever see) show little concern about me, why should I give a hoot about them? This is probably less of an issue in small business where Boss/Owner and employees interact frequently.

Another might be someone 'stuck' in a job the employee perceives as beneath them. Become qualified for a better job? "Nah, that's hard! It might cut into my social life!"

That's why I called it a work ethic. Doesn't matter if your higher-ups value you or not. Work hard and do a good job. Somebody will notice eventually, perhaps even a competitor willing to offer a higher wage or salary. And, even if nobody notices, you'll sleep well. My one caveat, is that I reserve the right to go "above and beyond" when I see fit.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

We have TWO Sears stores in Livonia. A few hundred yards from my house is a Sears Outlet store where they sell the scratch and dent appliances.

The one time we tried to buy a washer it just didn't happen. Turns out they wanted to take $50 off the price for the damaged one but had a $50 delivery fee. Buying the undented one at a "normal" Sears was $50 more for the washer but the delivery was free.

They carried other stuff too but the last time I was in there it looked like a flea market. I wanted a replacement water filter for the refrigerator. They didn't have it. The employee said, "You can get those online."

Good thing they have the store.

-Tom

Blog Entries
    They carried other stuff too but the last time I was in there it looked like a flea market. I wanted a replacement water filter for the refrigerator. They didn't have it. The employee said, "You can get those online."
    This is one thing that is missed since the local ACE hardware closed. If something wasn't on the shelf they would almost always offer to get it shipped in.

For some people it is just too much trouble for them to take the time to 'special order' an item.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    When did we, as a society, quit teaching the work ethic of doing what is best for our employers while we're on the job?
    When the X-gen had kids.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

This is one thing that is missed since the local ACE hardware closed. If something wasn't on the shelf they would almost always offer to get it shipped in.

For some people it is just too much trouble for them to take the time to 'special order' an item.
    For most people it is easier to just order it online and have it delivered to them. If a store could special order an item most likely it is delivered to the store so I have to make a special trip to get it. Most of the time I can get it cheaper and faster online than a store ordering it for me.

The only time I have a store order anything for me is NAPA if the warehouse has it as they usually get the item the same day or next day at latest. Although, the last two times I ordered from NAPA the warehouse forgot to put my item in the store order.

There’s a large one near me that’s still open, but it’s a dump and nobody works there. The inside and outside of it are completely run down, and there’s been times where I had to walk out because I couldn’t find a single cashier or worker in the entire store to check me out. I wonder if they have large theft problems because you can literally walk out the door without passing a single person. I used to shop there a lot because I liked Craftsman, but their tools are becoming more Harbor Freight quality and you can buy them elsewhere anyway.

My town doesn't have a gas station, so a Sears!? Nearest one is 45 miles away.

Sears closed down in State College, PA. Thus is the power of Amazon.