View Poll Results: Do you still have a Sears store close to home?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

12 29.27%
  • NO

29 70.73%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a Sears in your town?

Do you have a Sears in your town?

The last Sears store in Cincinnati ( and all of southwest Ohio )is getting ready to close.
    The Sears Eastgate happens to be the one I shopped since it opened in 1979 or 1980.

Just wondering how many of you still have a Sears close enough to shop?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

There is a Sears remaining in a mall that's a bit of a drive (and a severely downsized version, too), but nothing 'local' anymore, not that I've shopped with them for many years. The local K-Mart is also shutting down any day now. End of an era!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

We still have one here in Eastern NC but each time I am in there, I tell the wife that it seems a matter of time before they close down. Few cars in the parking lot, ever-shrinking inventory looks like writing is on the wall. Seems the internet shopping world is passing them by.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There is a Sears remaining in a mall that's a bit of a drive (and a severely downsized version, too), but nothing 'local' anymore, not that I've shopped with them for many years. The local K-Mart is also shutting down any day now. End of an era!

Our local Kmart closed maybe 12-15 years ago. We would take a Sunday drive to the next closest store about 45 min away. 1) because they had great deals 2) it was located in a smaller farming town and our way of supporting jobs there. But about two years ago it also closed. Rural King is getting ready to move in.

This past spring we were on a little trip and stopped in a Kmart to kill time as we were running ahead of time to get in our room.
    I got to talking shop with an employee ( I use to work retail for over 20 years) The clerk had worked there for over 30 years and said their store was safe and told it would not close etc.... I had my doubts as the move theater next door, in the same parking lot, had been torn town and condos going up. Stopping at the Kamart lot. Long story short I see that store is closing.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Sears Canada went bankrupt in I think 2017, so no.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    We still have one here in Eastern NC but each time I am in there, I tell the wife that it seems a matter of time before they close down. Few cars in the parking lot, ever-shrinking inventory looks like writing is on the wall. Seems the internet shopping world is passing them by.

The sad part is Sears already had the business. All they had to do was convert from paper catalog to internet. But somehow got left behind.
    Who would ever guess they would be in the shape they are now.
    - Rick Dale

Ours closed a year or so ago. They had just completed an extensive remodel & downsizing a few months earlier.

I dropped a lot of money there over the years. The last time I shopped there the cashier was doing everything on an ipad like device, it was painfully slow.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

While in the US Navy, I worked for a period part time for a time at a Sears store on the loading docks unloading boxcars, loading delivery trucks and assembling some merchandise. We bought furniture, appliances and Sears Road Handler steel belted radials at Sears because should a warrantee issue arise, there was a Sears store near any place the US Navy might send me. When I was discharged, my new career required me to wear suits and I spent a lot of time on traveling away from home. I bought my suits at Sears as I could mix and match different color pants, jackets and vests to vary my dress at a hospital. Should a piece get damaged, I could buy a replacement any where the company might have me placed. Once Sears began moving outside the retail market they once mastered, bad management decisions destroyed the company IMO. Our local Sears store closed over a year ago.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    We had a Sears in one of the malls here. It closed years ago. Now we have a Sears Hometown which is not much bigger than a convenience mart.

Sears on line by my recollection was terrible. If you were looking for wrenches, as an example, all the wrenches were accompanied by a photo of the same wrench. They must have figured that would save money on the pixels or something.

At one time stores like Sears had workers with pride in knowing their store and products. Over time it seemed these 'hangers on' were getting paid too much and since they are all just little interchangeable cogs, replacing them with lower paid employees would be just fine.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    In Canada, Sears & Kmart are among at least 6 major nationwide department stores that have, well, departed since I was a kid. Makes me sound like I'm old, but it is a different world.

All Sears stores are gone in the Minneapolis metro area. Hard to understand how a chain like Sears expects to survive without stores in metro areas with several million people.

There are two Kmart stores left in the Minneapolis area. One of them is supposedly the most profitable Kmart in the entire chain. The store was built in the middle of a major street back in the 1970s. The city of Minneapolis bought the land under the store recently so the city can potentially reopen the street if/when the Kmart store closes.

Our Sears in Portage, Mi is in the midst of shutting down. They've had "closeout" and "store closing" signs around town for several weeks now. Kind of sad, they've been a brick and mortar icon for my entire life but they failed to keep up with consumer demands and the quality of their tools went south. I don't plan on going there to try to find any store closing deals.

We had a giant Sears distribution center and their credit office in KC in the '60s, so just about everyone I grew up with had one or more family members who worked for Sears at one time or another. Until recently, we had a store about 2 miles from my house that was actually doing pretty well but lost their lease in a shopping center when the mall owner sold out. One traditional store left in the whole metropolitan area.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 10-26-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Sears closed during one of their bloodletting rounds a few years ago, the empty store was used by FEMA for a few months after the Camp Fire destroyed Paradise, CA almost a year ago, noticed temporary signage for a Halloween store there recently. The K Mart store is still open.