View Poll Results: Do you still have a Sears store close to home?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

12 29.27%
  • NO

29 70.73%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a Sears in your town?

The closest one to me (Orange, CA) is still (barely) open, but it's in a mall that is pretty much on its last legs. There's a Walmart at the other end that's doing well, but it's in its own (semi-)separate building...not sure what the future holds for the complex as a whole.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

We have a Sears Hometown store in a small mall in a small community on the coast in Oregon. These stores are not owned by Sears/K-Mart, Hometown stores broke away from K-mart several years ago.
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

No, I'm pretty sure that the stores near me, have closed, or are slated to close soon.
    I never really shopped at Sears through the years, but it is sad to see them go down the tubes. They just never caught onto the online sales business model,a nd they should have.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I read that U-haul is buying the Sears and K-mart stores cheap and turning them into a U-haul rental store and mini storage. They will build more mini storage in the parking lot area as need expands.
    Bil lD

I couldn't even tell you if our Sears is still open. I don't think it is, but it's part of the mall, and I don't go to the mall...
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    I couldn't even tell you if our Sears is still open. I don't think it is, but it's part of the mall, and I don't go to the mall...
    You are far from alone there, and I imagine that's part of Sears and other B & M retailers problem. We have 2 large malls within 20 miles, I can't recall the last time I was in either.

Our local sears store closed a few years ago. The only thing I ever shopped for there was tools and infrequently, appliances. There is still one in the next county, but I can beat their tool prices on line so I never go there. Our K marts are all gone. Went the way of Montgomery Wards, Zayers, Ames, and others. To me, Target is pretty much the same as a Kmart. The only store chains moving in are grocery stores. Whole Foods, Wegman's, Lidl's and others moving in from out of the area. Our Local independent grocery stores are all closing and selling out to the large regional stores. My wife orders everything but food on line. Laundry soap, pet food, dish washer stuff, close, furnace and water filters. Her coats, even her shoes. There is a work shirt (RIGGS) that I like that is not carried anywhere nearby, so I order those on-line.

Not only can't brick and mortar stores compete with on-line sources, brick and mortar stores cannot carry everything. So they order what they feel is the coming style, in an array of sizes, that only fit average people. Specialty clothes, like heavy wool flannel shirts (Pendelton) were almost never encountered in east coast stores. My Mrs. works on her feet and requires a special size shoe. Easier to get on line with next day delivery at no extra charge. In the past we had to call specialty shoe stores all over the region to find out if they had her size in stock. I miss brick and mortar stores for the browsing through other items that may interest me. But for items I want, it is generally faster and cheaper to order on-line.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Our local Kmart closed maybe 12-15 years ago. We would take a Sunday drive to the next closest store about 45 min away. 1) because they had great deals 2) it was located in a smaller farming town and our way of supporting jobs there. But about two years ago it also closed. Rural King is getting ready to move in.

This past spring we were on a little trip and stopped in a Kmart to kill time as we were running ahead of time to get in our room.
    I got to talking shop with an employee ( I use to work retail for over 20 years) The clerk had worked there for over 30 years and said their store was safe and told it would not close etc.... I had my doubts as the move theater next door, in the same parking lot, had been torn town and condos going up. Stopping at the Kamart lot. Long story short I see that store is closing.
    Sears closed several years ago but K-Mart is still currently hanging on. Kind of surprises me as it's been many, many years since I've seen their parking lot very full.

Clint

Ours closed a couple years ago, and the mall to which it was attached has since been razed to make way for new development.
    Chuck Taylor

None near me.

11. There is one here that has been vacant for a few years. The building has been a hub for drug dealing, homeless encampments, vandalism and general urban decay. I saw a fence around it the other day, which makes me hopeful it is being demolished and there will be something built there that contributes to the community.

Blog Entries
    I live in Falls Church VA. That's inside the DC Beltway. We have a Sears nearby that I'm told used to be a Lord and Taylor. It's depressing to go into now. There's not much merchandise and few employees. The employees they do have seem annoyed to have to deal with a customer. I've read that Sears is dealing with the timing of a bankruptcy and is waiting for the best time to sell off their real estate. Looking at what's going on at our local Sears, that makes sense. It's pretty clear that no one is investing in the store.

Attitude is the thing I don't understand about Brick and Mortar stores. The one real advantage they will always have over online sellers is the opportunity to provide expertise and a great customer experience. But in the case of Sears (and others), management just seems to grind the employees down to the point that they don't care. I waited 10 minutes at the checkout at a Best Buy for someone to show up to check me out. One guy came by and said he was on break. After a few minutes, I wanted to see how long it would go on. After 10 minutes I had had enough and left.

I get a much better vibe at my local Woodcraft and other specialty stores. Another standout is my local small town hardware store. Shout out to Browns Hardware in Falls Church! When Hugh Brown died, he left the store in trust to the employees and, in a sense, to the town. Another plus for Browns is that when I moved here three years ago, the people that worked at Browns are the people that work there today.

Hi Dave, Sears Canada closed in 2018 laying off all 11,240 employees, so not only don't I have a Sears store near me, I no longer have one in my country.

I don't know what happened to Sears, I always thought that since they already had a catalogue sales division they would be a natural to bridge the transition to online sales.

Shows what I know about retail..................Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Dave, Sears Canada closed in 2018 laying off all 11,240 employees, so not only don't I have a Sears store near me, I no longer have one in my country.

I don't know what happened to Sears, I always thought that since they already had a catalogue sales division they would be a natural to bridge the transition to online sales.

Shows what I know about retail..................Regards, Rod.
    One oopsie I recall from years ago is Sears decision to de-emphasize their solid items like tools and appliances in favor of womens fashions. True, womens fashions have way better margins than hardware but little or no company expertise and an inability to find some. Remember the "softer side of Sears" campaign?

There was a Lord and Taylor along Rt 7 near 7 corners just west of the intersection with Patrick Henry Drive. Is that where Sears moved to? 20 years ago, I lived a few blocks down Patrick Henry Drive. The Sears was up in Arlington 20 years ago. I remember the Lord and Taylor ran a liquidation sale. Never knew what moved into the building. Home Depot had just opened at 7 corners a year or so before I moved away.