Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northfied 12" jointer

Northfied 12" jointer

I've been looking for a 12" jointer, particularly one made by Northfield. They apparently have a belt drive version and one direct drive. Is one preferred over the other. I would think the belt drive advantageous since it might be easier to change the motor. Any thoughts on this?
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 10-25-2019 at 5:12 PM.

Direct drive fans will tell you its because they are so smooth, yes they are. A motor rewind will cost more than a used motor for belt drive machine, but not much more than new motor.

I like belt drive because you can speed them up a bit compared to 3600 DD machines.

I would take either one though.

So how do you speed a belt drive jointer up? And what is the benefit? I have one of these, but I've never used it.

You change the speed on a belt drive by changing pulley size on the motor or the driven shaft.
    Zach

Steve I reckon it’s worth the drive to Prescott to see first hand. And that’s a very decent price

Good Luck
    Aj

Okay, I guess I should have figured that one out, was thinking electrically, not mechanically speeding it up. What is the benefit?

More knife Mark's per inch.
    You can feed faster and still get excellent finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Steve I reckon it’s worth the drive to Prescott to see first hand. And that’s a very decent price

Good Luck
    Seems I've made this mistake b4.

I’ve got an NF12 with a DD motor and it’s been great. It’s 3 phase and I use it with a VFD. In fact it was Miss August this year on the OWWM calendar.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I've been looking for a 12" jointer, particularly one made by Northfield. They apparently have a belt drive version and one direct drive. Is one preferred over the other. I would think the belt drive advantageous since it might be easier to change the motor. Any thoughts on this?
    A stock Northfield 12” 3HP belt drive gives a cutterhead rpm of 4500 opposed to 3600 rpm on the stock 3HP DD.

Curious what price are they asking? What condition?

I searched pretty hard and long for my 16HD. I am still amazed at how much certain dealers are asking for Northfield jointers that look to be pretty trashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I’ve got an NF12 with a DD motor and it’s been great. It’s 3 phase and I use it with a VFD. In fact it was Miss August this year on the OWWM calendar.
    Matt, can you post a pic of your Miss August? Jointer that is.

I was referring Steve to a Northfield on Cl in Prescott. Listed at 1500.00
    When was on the scout for a quest jointer.
    I spend more then a year looking and checking out different leads. I finally found a what I was looking for I’m glad I didn’t settle.
    Condition of the tables were the most important part for me.
    They need to be inspected in person with a machinist straight edge.
    I already did my time paid my tuition using jointers with worn warped tables.

Good Luck
    Aj

Condition and how flat the table are are more important than belt vs direct drive. A jointer is not a finish machine so cuts per inch is less important than long flat tables. Northfield originally spec'd their tables at .002-.004 across the entire 8' of length. Martin might do that but few others and no jointer under 10K new will be that tight in tolerance. Dave

So how do you go about checking the jointer table for flatness? I would like to include this in my inspection on one in a few days.

I bought my NF 16HD over the phone in less than an hour after it was posted for sale on another website. My inspection was a “walk-around” via FaceTime. To this day, I have never checked the tables for flatness.
    8CE64E30-90C5-43EE-AD12-40FD1FCEA9A3.jpg