Thread: Hardware for suitcase rack

Hardware for suitcase rack

I am in the process of designing a suitcase or luggage rack that can be collapsed to store away. X shape when opened with leather or canvas braces at the top, then collapse to a reasonably compact dimension to be stored in a corner of the closet. I am just not sure about the hardware. I found binding barrels screws on McMaster-Carr website. Any recommendation on the hardware to use to mate the two frames together at the X intersection and still allow for movements?

Thanks.

WS

cap bolts like this in the correct length would be my choice. Rockler link
    2019-10-25_11h28_32.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Wakahisa,

I like your idea of using binding barrels. Having the same diameter all the way through both pieces will reduce the tendency for wobble. I would use a nylon washer at the intersection - a large nylon fender washer would be perfect to spread the load. You'll want to use some blue locktite on the threads when you assemble the parts, as the action will loosen the screw from the binding blot.

Cheers,
    Mark

Or use a roto-hinge: https://www.rockler.com/roto-hinges-choose-size

I've used them on folding tray tables and they work great.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Or use a roto-hinge: https://www.rockler.com/roto-hinges-choose-size

I've used them on folding tray tables and they work great.

Hey - those are pretty cool. Didn't know about them Paul - thanks for posting the link.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Another consideration that I neglect to mention is weight bearing capacity of the hardware. At a minimum, it needs to be able to withstand 50 lbs of downward force of the luggage, plus whatever sheer force resulted from that weight (though I doubt my weight/force estimations are correct given that I am not a structural engineer). For a safe margin, I would lean toward hardware that is sturdy enough to support 100+ lbs. Obviously, I don't ever want to pack a suitcase to 100 lbs or event 50 lbs. Those roto hinges look interesting, but am not sure of their long-term durability (no weight bearing spec listed in the spec section).

I looked at cap bolts as well. The fact that the barrel is short, therefore, not able to span the entire combined thickness of the two legs at the pivot point was a deal breaker.

And yes, there will be a nylon washer between the two legs at the pivot point to minimize friction.

Thus far, I like the Hex Drive Binding Barrels and Screws on McMasterCarr the most. A bit pricey, the 1/4 inch size.

WS

Look at some assembly bolts for "knock down furniture." HD stocks them. If they aren't long enough, do a counter bore on each leg. Use a short length of tubing for a bushing, though a bushing won't be necessary as this is a low use application. Use a nylon locking nut instead of lock tite. Washer between the legs could be cut from a plastic laundry bottle. It doesn't have to be pretty, only work, as only the edges will ever be seen.

You are wise to plan on 100 pounds. People sometimes bear down on a suitcase to get it shut.

Also, how are you designing the joinery. The corners may experience a lot of sideways force.