Thread: Mesquite Grubs

Mesquite Grubs

Is it common to find big grubs in mesquite, I've cut into a couple of logs and they seem to be loaded with grubs, I've still got a handful left just wondering if I should expect them all to be full of grubs.

At one trade show back in the day, this customer walked up with a chunk of green mesquite and asked me to resaw it on the bandsaw we had in the booth. Cut it in half and there were several gooey, squirming grubs as a result. At least wasn't a screw or bullet, which we also ran into.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

In Virginia, the local wood turners that ordered a bunch of slabs for bowls; called the grubs "Jamal". There were a bunch, and they were huge.
    Where did I put those band aids?

Hmmm....guess I'll avoid Mesquite

Mesquite grubs sounds tasty to me.
    I cook with mesquite a lot.
    Buy a couple boards get a couple snacks doesn’t sounds too bad.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Jordan View Post
    Is it common to find big grubs in mesquite, I've cut into a couple of logs and they seem to be loaded with grubs, I've still got a handful left just wondering if I should expect them all to be full of grubs.
    Yes if its left in contact with the ground you'll get them. Wood borers. At least in central texas where we have a ton of mesquite. Its not a given that you would have them if the tree is felled and stored properly for use as lumber. Lots of it is just turned into chunks for smoking meat.

I had one come crawling out of my completed office desk. Left a nice cone shaped pile of saw dust. I poured hot fresh 2 part epoxy down the hole. He hasn’t been back.

Blog Entries
    I made this chair out of mesquite. It is a Paul Sellers design.
    I also made the Craftsman rocker.

https://www.sustainlife.org/shop/bra...g-chair-class/