Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie Questions

It is hard for beginners to concentrate on basic skills when their attention is distracted by all manner of fancy turnings they are anxious to try. A skew chisel is one of the easiest to sharpen without special tools and is one of the most feared tools on the rack. Even many experienced hobby turners avoid it whenever possible. Everybody wants to make bowls and inside out turnings etc. Try to concentrate on basic skills with the basic tools. Today we have all kinds of fancy specialty tools available, and yet turners of 100 years ago and 200 years ago, made almost all the same items with just a few basic tools and far more primitive lathes. Carbide tools make it too easy to skip the basics and the older tools can leave a much nicer surface requiring less sanding.

The fancy jigs and grinders aren't necessary for the old school basic tools.

Thank you all for thoughts and input. I'm still reading every post. I still haven't actually received the lathe and related equipment, as the person giving it to me was sick last weekend. Hopefully I'll get it soon. Once I am able to figure out what I've got, I'm sure my questions will multiply rapidly. Of course, nothing is certain in this world, but I'm really hoping to become proficient at turning spindles for some projects. Bowl turning etc really holds little interest for me at this point.

Hi Lisa,

Lots of good info in the various responses, some better than others, some seem to be more opinion than experience-based, IMHO. Yup, funnel or vacuum connected directly to your wallet. A friend described it as a money sucking black hole! It's usually a loving relationship, but too often a money sucker.

Learn to use standard tools and shapes. That knowledge will inform and guide any carbide tool usage.

Club membership and attendance is a huge and valuable asset. Does the club have tools and hold "open shop" sessions? Mine is open two Saturdays per month. Some of the members would be pleased to meet you in your shop or theirs to help you with basics. Learning to sharpen with or without jigs on a grinder (preferably with white wheels). A Club or Club member might afford you an opportunity to get good initial edges on the tools you get with the lathe.

Don't be anxious or overly eager to buy tons of tools, or even additional tools beyond your basics. It's a "trap" that's way too easy to fall into. Too many turners end up with racks of tools in their possession that mainly go unused. Maybe think in terms of a couple of good quality gouges, a traditional skew or two, a parting tool or two (a basic 1/8" diamond point; a 1/16" would be a nice addition). Learn to sharpen and use basic tools with traditional sharpening. Get good with those before trying different grinds and ideas. You might want to add what some call a detail gouge, but don't hurry into it.

This, of course, is my own summary, based on my own experience as a general turner. Cut some 2x4 lumber cut into manageable squares and use them as practice pieces. You'd not be making projects, but you'll learn how to make good cuts while creating good looking fire wood.
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO

The suggestion to use 2x4 cuts to practice is a good one. The wood is cheap and if you can get a smooth cut on crappy pine, you can get them on just about anything. I did/do this to practice using spindle tools and getting clean shear cuts. However, the infamous cork-screw run-back seems to occur more readily on harder woods (or maybe it's just me). Anyway the 2x4 cut to 2x2 lengths is a great way to learn.

There are some really simple spindle projects that can be turned in a matter of minutes and yet utilize basic skills of the more basic tools. A simple egg shape made only with a skew chisel involves practice with beads going both directions. I recently made a dozen, various size acorns, from various woods. Again, using only a skew chisel. Once you learn to handle the skew, the finish is almost better than sanded. I even use a skew chisel to part the pieces off. A wooden bowl of assorted acorns makes for an interesting dust catcher. But it is an important step of learning basic tools and their uses.

Well I got the lathe today....or at least most of it. It turns out it is an old Craftsman (made by Power King) Model 534.06260 with the cast bed. It has the headstock, tailstock and banjo detached for the moment but everything for the lathe itself seems to be there. There is no motor or the step-pulley that goes on the motor. Needs some clean up before anything else. I also received 2 old sets of tools 1 branded "Craftsman" and the other "Viking". The adventure begins!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    Well I got the lathe today....or at least most of it. It turns out it is an old Craftsman (made by Power King) Model 534.06260 with the cast bed. It has the headstock, tailstock and banjo detached for the moment but everything for the lathe itself seems to be there. There is no motor or the step-pulley that goes on the motor. Needs some clean up before anything else. I also received 2 old sets of tools 1 branded "Craftsman" and the other "Viking". The adventure begins!
    If the Craftsman tools are the HSS ones they are not bad. I bought a set when I first started turning and I still use several.

Spent the day working, on and off, on the lathe. I was able to easily pop the drive spur out of the headstock, but had to get quite persuasive with the dead center in the tailstock. Both are out, cleaned up and ready to use. The bearings in the headstock were bone dry, but I oiled them several times today and have rotated the shaft a fair amount by hand. The bearings feel smooth and there is no wobble, so I think I'll leave the headstock assembled for now. Banjo is all cleaned up, thanks to EvapoRust and the Tailstock casting is soaking now. Hopefully tomorrow I can assembly it and work on locating a motor and the step pulley. I'll soak the tools in the EvapoRust tomorrow too.