Thread: Is this rust on my Grizzly?

Is this rust on my Grizzly?

Got my go632z about 5 weeks ago. When it arrived I checked it over, inside the pulley box/cover etc...however, I missed this (see attachments)....looks like "rust" to me? The lathe has been up and running for only 3 weeks.... For the most part, I've been pleased with my first lathe. Recently, I noticed that when I switched it "off" via the rocker switch, it came to a stop quicker with each day or so. This prompted me to take a closer look inside.....and this is what I found. I wanted to toss this out here first, but I am getting ready to call Grizzly to get their opinion. Will post back.IMG_20191024_151059137.jpgIMG_20191024_150923176_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpgIMG_20191024_151355547.jpgIMG_20191024_151407531.jpgIMG_20191024_151426938.jpgIMG_20191024_151523308.jpgIMG_20191024_152405317.jpg Thanks for looking.

2. For one thing, I notice your belt is one rib off on the pulley alignment. This looks like rust, but I'd have to see it in person. I will tell you this, and it is a fact......rust on cast iron is a constant battle for lathe owners. IF your lathe is in an environment that is damp, humid or unheated it will rust. Especially during the transition from warm weather to cold. The cool temps at night will make steel and cast iron collect condensation as the temps begin to rise during the day.

In my un-insulated shop, I have to deal with this constantly, and not on just the pulleys, but also on the bed ways. I have to take a synthetic steel wool pad and clean the bed, and wax it down often. Same holds true with my table saw, and bandsaw tables. I have a kerosene heater I use when it really gets cold, and when I turn that on, it emits moisture into the air as part of the combustion process........like I said, a constant battle. It only takes a day, or overnight of the right conditions of humidity or condensation happening to cause what you have in these pics.

I would say, this is not a problem with Grizzly, but could be your environment you have the lathe in. It looks to me like some WD-40, a steel brush and perhaps some rust away type spray would be in order and you will be back to new condition.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I own a Griz 0766, which is similar. My two pulleys are painted gray.

But when I look at your pictures, I'm puzzled. It appears that your upper pulley is orange with rust while the bottom one is a normal gray. It would be surprising if the upper pulley rusted while the lower one did not. So - - I suspect that either the upper pulley was attached at the factory while it was orange/rusty and that it didn't occur in your shop.

But, indulge me for a moment. It is a bit hard to tell from the pictures, but is it possible that the orange stuff is a primer? Why don't you take a white cloth and wet it and rub it on the side of the presumably rusty upper pulley. (Don't rub on the ribs of the pulley though). If the cloth transfers orange color, then it is likely rust. If it doesn't it is probably red oxide primer. Also, rust has a distinct taste (don't ask me how I know).

In that case, you could either take off the rusty pulley and (if there aren't any pits or chips) just wire brush it, or call up Griz, send them some pictures, and ask for a new pulley. From the pictures, it kind of looks like the surface of the upper pulley looks kind of rough?

BTW, most G0766 users turn down the speed using the speed control pot instead of the forward-off-reverse switch. Reason? If you are spinning something really fast that is also quite heavy and hit the Fwd-off-rev switch there is a lot of energy that has to go somewhere. Perhaps it is called reverse EMF. Some people have reported that their controller shuts down and throws an error code. On light things, or slow speeds it doesn't matter.

looks like rust to me, and perhaps old rust. That much rust doesn't happen over night. I don't think it got painted like it should have. I would contact Grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I would say, this is not a problem with Grizzly, but could be your environment you have the lathe in. It looks to me like some WD-40, a steel brush and perhaps some rust away type spray would be in order and you will be back to new condition.
    Totally disagree. Poor quality control on Grizz end. Look at the other components - why would local environmental conditions attack only one component? As mentioned this must have been assembled rusty. I would call looking for a replacement pulley and belt.

Good points. I placed the pulley back over that exposed rib.... And I agree re why one pulley and not the others would be different. Unless the bottom one was composed of a different material....and I do not think that is the case. My shop is not that moist...upstate SC, not near the coast. Rust? seems like that it might the case. Ran my finger on the side of the upper pulley and got a slight layer of something that looked like rust...not absolutely sure. Should get back today re Grizzly phone call.

Grizzly tech service rep generated an activity num for the rust issue. The indisputable fact here is that why two of the pulleys are "rusted" and the other is in pristine condition. Ill post a final update next week. If anyone has additional input, Id love to hear it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stark Suggs View Post
    Grizzly tech service rep generated an activity num for the rust issue. The indisputable fact here is that why two of the pulleys are "rusted" and the other is in pristine condition. Ill post a final update next week. If anyone has additional input, Id love to hear it. Thanks.
    I agree with everybody else that there should be no rust anywhere on a new tool.

Grizzly will just send you a new pulley. Most likely it missed the paint step. One of the deals with less expensive brands is quality control isn't as good as a machine you would pay twice as much for. Even though it's rusted it's not going to cause you any problems. Don't drive a car for a few months and look at how much rust will be on the pulleys (at least up here).

I had to change my upper pulley because one of the magnets for the speed control was in too deep. Grizzly just sent me a new one and told me how to swap it. As long as you are handy it's not too hard. If you don't have a set buy some T-handle metric allen wrenches. I prefer Bondhus (American made with lifetime warranty). It seams like almost everything with turning uses metric allen heads (set screws, bolts, etc.).

Someone mentioned using WD-40 as part of a de--rusting procedure. I would discourage that. Getting anything that feels like a lubricant or petroleum product is really hard to get off a metal surface. It would serve as a lube and would likely make things slip. Plus WD-40 tends to eat or at least degrade belts and such. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO

Will receive replacement parts from Grizzly. ...instructions will probably be in the box. if not, I'll surely figure it out. If there is anything in particular I need to keep an eye out for please let me know. I really appreciate everyone's feedback. Take care

Typical grizzly, need to order repair parts before you can use a new machine. Complain and get banned from ever contacting them again and prosecuted "to the full extent of the law". No more grizzly for me because I asked for the products I bought to be as advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jain View Post
    Typical grizzly, need to order repair parts before you can use a new machine. Complain and get banned from ever contacting them again and prosecuted "to the full extent of the law". No more grizzly for me because I asked for the products I bought to be as advertised.
    Yeah. Typical Grizzly. They replaced the parts no questions asked. I own 6 grizzly machines. All are excellent. I think it is the exception when that's not the case, and even more rare for Grizzly to turn their back on the customers. By far the best bang for your buck of any brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jain View Post
    I won't comment about the repercussions of my comments in the past, but I'll confirm that happens.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 09-10-2020 at 4:19 PM.

I am not allowed to even order parts for my machine, because of a 34.00 mistake on there part. I have never been treated so disrespectful by a mail order business.