Thread: What would you do - convert to VS or buy a new Lathe

What would you do - convert to VS or buy a new Lathe

I'm trying to decide what is the best solution to my woodturning issue. Presently own a general 160 four speed lathe that i purchased in about 1995. it has been a good lathe, i mostly turn bowls and some spindle work but my spindle skill need more practice i know. Would like to have a variable speed lathe, and my two options are either sell the 160 or buy a Laguna 12-16 or install a variable speed drive on the 160. I would need a 3 phase 1725 0r 1140 RPM 1 HP 3 phase motor. This would involve a new motor, a Variable Speed Drive and associated electrical fuses, enclosure, and protection for the VFD and Motor. I could use either an AC VFD to do with a DC like Craft Supplies offers. Presently the 160 has a 1725 3/4 Hp 110 volt motor which has served me well. Anyway the work involved would definitely take some time plus about $600. or so for the motor and drive. If anyone has been there and has some suggestions i'd like to hear them, and thanks.

I’d sell the General and buy the Laguna and avoid the hassle and uncertainty of trying to make the old lathe work. You also get reverse with the Laguna.

For $600 I would think you could get a used 12” jet or other lathe with VS and reverse. The Laguna is only around $800 and I think they offer 10% off on either on Black Friday or in January.

I did a similar conversion on my General 260/20 that cost about $600 out of pocket plus a day's work. I felt it was worth it on my machine, but not so much on a 160. For bowl turning you will probably wind up with a heavier/larger swing lathe anyway so start budgeting for it.

Free advice, worth every penny.

Convert to VFD...
    I have an older Powermatic... replaced the 3/4HP motor with a used 1HP 3Phase motor..Cost $50.. Added a VFD for $110... used same pulleys, belts, etc..

Total cost $160 and speed is variable from 0 to 3600rpm (I never go that fast!)... Also it is reversible via the VFD if you want to, I only did that one time to put a finish on a project, mostly out of curiousty

Used 3phase motors are cheap at most any place that fixes/sells them...
    Check eBay for VFD..

You can definitely convert for less that $200 and does not take very long..

Glad I converted... you will enjoy just turning a knob to change speed... also easy to tell your speed via the readout on the VFD..

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Prandoni View Post
    I'm trying to decide what is the best solution to my woodturning issue. Presently own a general 160 four speed lathe that i purchased in about 1995. it has been a good lathe, i mostly turn bowls and some spindle work but my spindle skill need more practice i know. Would like to have a variable speed lathe, and my two options are either sell the 160 or buy a Laguna 12-16 or install a variable speed drive on the 160. I would need a 3 phase 1725 0r 1140 RPM 1 HP 3 phase motor. This would involve a new motor, a Variable Speed Drive and associated electrical fuses, enclosure, and protection for the VFD and Motor. I could use either an AC VFD to do with a DC like Craft Supplies offers. Presently the 160 has a 1725 3/4 Hp 110 volt motor which has served me well. Anyway the work involved would definitely take some time plus about $600. or so for the motor and drive. If anyone has been there and has some suggestions i'd like to hear them, and thanks.
    The decision might depend on some things besides the time investment you mentioned.

CONVERT TO VS:
    Could be cheaper.
    You have to engineer the changeover.
    Have to locate, purchase, and possibly have the motor and VFD shipped.
    May require adapting the motor for mounting.
    Requires wiring, switch housing, etc.
    Have to program the VFD
    Can be frustrating if everything doesn't work the first time - is it the motor, bad VFD, the programming, wiring error?
    If something goes bad in the future you have a custom lathe, may have to deal with it yourself
    You still have an old lathe with possible developing problems, e.g. worn bearings.
    Consider the potential effect of the upgrade on the future resale value

BUY NEW LATHE:
    Have to find a buyer for the old lathe and perhaps deal with shipping/delivery.
    Total cost may be higher.
    Acquisition is painless and could be quick.
    Effort to get it working: Set it in place, plug and play!
    Have a new lathe with all new parts, bearings, etc
    New lathe may have newer/better features
    Could be a significant upgrade in power, swing, weight, etc.
    Have a warranty
    Have one source for future repair parts, service
    Possible good resale value

If the budget permitted, I'd be inclined to avoid the hassle and go with the new lathe or even a used VS lathe (I bought a used PM 3520b and drove 600 miles one way to get it, have zero regrets). I decided to keep my old lathe, a Jet 1642, and love having two in the shop. If budget was low and time was plenty, I would consider the mod.

JKJ

I would buy a new lathe if you have the money. There are always a few unseen problems that crop up that get to be a pain in the neck. I converted my Delta iron bed 1440 from Reeves drive to step pulleys. It cost less than $100, but was a pain in the butt. I plan to buy a new lathe in a few years. Once I get the new one, the Delta will hit the scrap pile.

Thanks for all the input, everyone gave me lots more to think about. I'm sure that i can replace the headstock bearings, i have done that job on several lathes, it doesn't intimidate me, but as many said if you convert you have a custom lathe and that would be a negative plus with a new lathe you have a warrantee for a couple of years. I had a neighbor where i previously lived in Maryland and he had a large Laguna. Richard had several problems with the Laguna and they stood behind their products and even though it was not cheap for them to ship him a complete new part, they did it.

For me, I don't want to tinker with my tools, I just want to put them to work. Once you use the variable speed lathes, you will never go back. I think most of the more modern lathes have better bearings than the older lathes, so they will take more abuse. I would have a lathe built to take more abuse than I can throw at it rather than an upsized lathe that is trying to turn bigger pieces than it was designed for. You can turn tiny things on a big lathe. You may be able to turn bigger things on a smaller lathe with some 'adaptations', but not many of them, and not for long...

robo hippy