Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sliding Table Saw Delivery Options

I purchased a Northfield 16HD jointer from a guy in Michigan. I went with Old Dominion who I have always had good luck with. The thing to remember is the agents that will quote you a price and book the delivery really don’t know or care if the item can truly be handled with a lift-gate. They don’t care how it will be loaded or off loaded. Those details need to be worked out between the individuals making the transaction. In my case, the seller loaded the jointer that was nicely crated on to the OD truck using TWO forklifts. When I booked the shipment the agent assured me that the liftgate could handle the dimensions of the crate. When the truck arrived to my house my fears were realized. I didn’t know at the time it was loaded with two forklifts. I had no forklifts, just a pallet jack, the driver, and two neighbors.
    The #2000 lbs was not the problem, as others have already said, the problem was the length. We all put our minds and muscles together to get the machine off that truck. Had to use my chainsaw to cut away both ends of the pallet so it would just barely clear the corner of the truck opening. It was extremely sketchy as we basically had to push the jointer way out and off the liftgate just enough to turn it onto and parallel with the liftgate.
    Lessons learned: LTL agents don’t know the limitations of loading or offloading.
    LTL drivers are not riggers. Most are very helpful but it really isn't their job to figure out the logistics of loading or off loading.
    If you don’t own a forklift, its way worth it to rent one for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by justin sherriff View Post
    I am a LTL driver and 1400lb is not hard to deal with if the ground is not to steep and paved. The problem is the 8.5 foot long pallet. If there is not a heavy end the far end will drag. With help It can be pulled but getting onto the lift gate would be very hard to do that long.
    This is the truth.

I deal with brokers and ltl guys all the time.
    This weeks fun was trying to get a trailer with double doors, not a roll up, to pick up a 93" wide crate.

Quote Originally Posted by John P Clark View Post
    I had a FELDER K700 delivered about three years ago with a lift gate - it has a 9- ft slider and weights around the same as what your machine spec says. Mine came with the slider is a different crate so it was not very hard to get off with the lift gate. I have not had a problem getting machines off of lift gates and ito my shop
    Well, I deliver sliding panel saws for a living... The answer to this question is exactly what John pointed out: If the slider comes in a separate crate, you have a shot at it with a liftgate truck. However, if the slider is pre-installed and 8' long, FORGET IT.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Taking the sliding table off is always a better option. Stuff gets banged around enough in the process that taking the table off and not stressing the bearings is worth the effort. Dave

Do yourself a favor and call your local rental yard, Sunbelt or equivalent, and have them drop you a forklift for a day (they will often leave it for several days and not come pick it up til they need it). 400-600 dollars for a forklift for peace of mind, to not be a nuisance to the driver, and to be able to move the machine around at will once its uncrated is a gift and should be factored into the cost of the machine (on your part).

I had an 8.5 foot Minimax SC4E delivered a couple of months ago. We did all the moving with a pallet jack. It was delivered to my shop driveway via Fedex Freight liftgate truck. The trucker got it on the ground with his pallet jack and the truck liftgate and I took it the rest of the way with my pallet jack. The crate is just under ten feet long and will JUST fit through a 10 foot garage door. Once in the shop I disassembled the crate, moved the saw into position and then used prybars and blocking to get the pallet out from under the saw. I did nearly all the work by myself, just took my time and carefully considered every move well in advance. I suppose a forklift would have been a bit easier, but in reality there isn't room in my shop for a forklift and the table saw to move together; as it is I had to temporarily move the widebelt, jointer and thickness planer just to clear a path for the saw. 8.5 foot sliders take up a lot of room.
    Last edited by Dave Cav; 10-26-2019 at 2:46 PM.

I picked my 8.5' slider at the freight terminal in a UHaul pickup with a low trailer. FedEx put it in the trailer with a forklift. I got it out with a come-along. Got it off the pallet with a pallet jack. Did this by myself for far less than the cost of a roll-back truck.

I'm a mechanic, so I don't have any experience with these kind of machines, but I've moved a heavy tool box or 2.
    Some of these are really big, and that's the issue with a lift gate delivery on a new one. It's always been made to work, but these pallets are often 6-8' long.
    Easiest scenario for a loaded box is a flat bed tow truck, but I've heard of some pretty crazy rates being charged.
    I've helped guys load boxes onto several different types of trailers using only ramps and come-a-longs. I recommend redundancy for safety.
    I even loaded one right into the back of a pickup recently, with a forklift. We had one at the shop temporarily, and he had one at his destination.
    I would consider a forklift rental (or hired?)

I have used my skidsteer with forks to get most of my machines from the back of trucks, but for my sliding table saw, used my tilt bed trailer, just had them load the saw onto the trailer with forklift, then backed it up to my shop door, and rolled the saw in. Did order the mobility kit, and installed it before tilting the trailer down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Champagne View Post
    Easiest scenario for a loaded box is a flat bed tow truck, but I've heard of some pretty crazy rates being charged.
    Many tow truck roll-back operators will not do this kind of work...it's about what their insurance will cover. But some embrace it. The guy I used for my CNC delivery is one such operator...he moves more "stuff" than most in this area and a lot of the vehicles that do go on his bed are antiques or other special vehicles. He explained that he set his insurance up so he has full coverage for the non-vehicular stuff. My cost was $100. Cash. Including tip. I found that extremely reasonable compared to other options available to me to take delivery of such a large and heavy crate.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Our local roll back hauler (huge wrecker company that hauls trucks and cargo worth hundreds of thousands of dollars) charges $85 an hour. They will have a lambo on a roll back that will cost far more than ANY machine considered in this forum. Heck. A cheap mercedes or any other budget euro vehicle will dwarf the expense of any tool.

The reason they dont want to deal with these goofy residential tool deliveries is for one reason and one reason only, they are a colossal waste of money with a million questions, micro-managing a drop that should take 3 minutes but it turns into hours, and so on. i.e. the customers are a nuisance. The hourly rate is what covers that. If you want to hold the driver up for 3 hours while you figure out how to deal with the delivery or call friends over.. your paying. Which is the way it should be.

Roll back haulers hearing about a residential delivery laced with a bunch of questions and them saying "thanks but we will pass" is no shock.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-29-2019 at 4:52 PM. Reason: Language