Thread: Power Feed Roller Replacement?

Power Feed Roller Replacement?

The rollers on my power feeder need replacing. There seems a lot of different types. Which one is generally preferred? Can the wheel be recovered or does the entire wheel need replacing? I haven't used a power feeder before and plan to use it on a shaper.

Go to Western Roller and get a set of urethane wheels. The make several different colors of urethane for different applications. Give them a call and they can suggest the best one for your application.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Go to Western Roller and get a set of urethane wheels. The make several different colors of urethane for different applications. Give them a call and they can suggest the best one for your application.
    Thanks! I just sent a message to them.

Blog Entries
    Western roller...PSFH-1 120mmOD X 60mm WIDE 70 DURO

Western roller is the place to go. I once set them the inter roller on my planer and had them cover it with yellow urethane. Perfect job
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

The mid grade yellow will be what you want. They will tell you if you can just buy tires or you need wheels that are cast on a hub based on your model number. The first thing I do when we buy a new feeder is order a set of wheels (same day I order the feeder). Before the first part is run toss the stock wheels and swap for the Western's.

Great people to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Western roller is the place to go. I once set them the inter roller on my planer and had them cover it with yellow urethane. Perfect job
    How much did this cost, if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    How much did this cost, if you don't mind me asking?
    I had some 13" rollers from a Jet planer moulder that they recoated. I think they were $70 each. HTH.

Blog Entries
    The PSFH-1 that i posted up thread is the correct roller for comatic 1hp std feeders (99% chance the OPs jet is a comatic) or 1% chance its a steff (the only other realistic option)20191024_204532.jpg

they are $34.27 each
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 10-24-2019 at 8:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    The PSFH-1 that i posted up thread is the correct roller for comatic 1hp std feeders (99% chance the OPs jet is a comatic) or 1% chance its a steff (the only other realistic option)20191024_204532.jpg

they are $34.27 each
    Where does it say Jet, comatic, steff, 1hp? Maybe the subject or body was change/edited. I always just call western and give them my model number and forget about it. ;-)

Could you rejuvenate the rubber wheels by sanding? They do glaze over pretty readily but I haven't run into many where the OEM tires were so hard that they couldn't be sanded back to serviceability. Just my experience.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Where does it say Jet, comatic, steff, 1hp? Maybe the subject or body was change/edited. I always just call western and give them my model number and forget about it. ;-)
    Ha you're right, i was responding to two of the op's power feeder threads. I assume its a jet (comatic) feeder since it was in the other thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Could you rejuvenate the rubber wheels by sanding? They do glaze over pretty readily but I haven't run into many where the OEM tires were so hard that they couldn't be sanded back to serviceability. Just my experience.

Erik
    That kind of works for that specific day you sand them, but they still dont work anywhere close to as well as the poly wheels.

The existing wheels are well worn and doubt they could be resurfaced. The Western wheels mentioned earlier seem like a good fit and the price looks good. I intend to purchase them as soon as the manufacturer returns my call. The power feeder is a Jet as some have guessed. Thanks for all of the responses. It saved me a bunch of time and frustration.