Thread: Raised Panel Grain Direction

Raised Panel Grain Direction

I'm making raised panels from Quarter Sawn White Oak. The raised panel itself is 7 1/2" tall X 8 1/2" wide, so rectangular but barely wider than tall. Rails and stiles are all 2" wide.

My plan was to orientate the panel with the grain running vertically to match the vertical grain orientation on the ends of the box. My son, who has all the artistic talent, thought the grain should run horizontally with the long dimension of the rectangle.

I can find a couple examples of each method, but not with the panels being nearly square. Your opinion?

Thanks,

Tom

You haven't given any context. Formal room ? Kitchen ? Modern ,retro, colonial,federal? Art Deco? To me ,it's the vertical lines
    that matter most. But on hodge podge rooms of no merit I try to dissuade the client from any panel work. I think there
    is only one always correct rule for panels: when the panels are taller than their width the grain must be vertical.

I agree with Mel.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Vertical grain on the panel, even though it is slightly wider than tall.
    David

Dare to be different! Run grain diagonally...

Hmmm...example?
    IMG_2265 (640x480).jpg
    Full sized maple Hope Chest...

Blog Entries
    My son, who has all the artistic talent, thought the grain should run horizontally with the long dimension of the rectangle.
    In art, there are no wrong ways of doing things, merely experiments that didn't work well.

Without seeing the panels' 'artistic merits' it is impossible to make a call.

If they present themselves better in one orientation over the other, maybe it is the way they should be displayed.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

For panels so small as OP wants it really is purely a function of desired appearance.

Blog Entries
    Why don't you make two samples and see which pleases you, but more importantly, SWMBO.

Rails and stiles a little different width look a little more refined, and they allow you to give the piece a horizontal or a vertical theme. And 2" wide seems blocky for small panels.

This is the one front panel on a Gerstner style tool chest. The box is 13" wide , 12" tall, and 8" deep. 13" X 12" is the front dimension and the panel in question. Top, bottom, and ends pieces are one piece, not glue ups. The panel is stand alone, it does not match up or live with any other drawers, doors, or furniture other than its own box.

I could trim down the rails and stiles and increase size of the panel, but not by much and still keep the panel as one piece - not a glue up - which is my preference.

Thank you for the comments,

Tom