Thread: Queen Anne Lowboy

Queen Anne Lowboy

DSC_0901_10218.jpgDSC_0904_10221b.jpgIMG_2621.jpg

I built this lowboy to go in a 215 year old historic home. I have familial association with this house as a great, great grandfather owned it from 1875-79, and a great grandfather from the other side of the family supposedly owned it for a short period around 1900. I'm on the Board of Trustees and we needed a small piece to fill a spot. President Monroe spent 3 nights here in 1819, and the original of this piece supposedly dates to around 1790 and relates to his home. The 3rd photo shows it in the house, and its already been scratched. The home was built in 1804 by a Cherokee chieftan using craftsmen brought from England and slave labor. Monroe visited while on a tour of the South (with his entourage, consisting of his son, a male secretary, 6 horses and a bunch of mules) in order to understand how a Cherokee could accumulate such wealth.
    Last edited by carey mitchell; 10-23-2019 at 7:48 PM.

Fine work. Interesting story. Do you know what their findings about Indian wealth were?

Very fine work. Are you a member of SAPFM? If not, you ought to consider joining. Patrick

Where is this house? Does it have a name? Does the outfit taking care of it have a name?

Very nice work.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Carey, well done. I like the veneered drawer fronts. How did you apply it? Hammer veneering with hide glue?

Outstanding Carey, outstanding. What wood? Hardware?
    David

Beautiful piece Carey. Very nice workmanship.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Nice work Carey. I once had a commission to build a similar piece. When finished it occurred to me this type piece really does ask the best of all aspects of your woodworking ability. You were obviously well up to the task.

Isn't it amazing how you take great care in producing a piece like this only to have one person with a, " it's just a piece of furniture" attitude to mark it up quite unnecessarily? It enrages me to no end.

Ron

It has started to acquire patina.

Well done!

Wow,

That is just beautiful!