Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New woodworker looking for advice on taking the next step

New woodworker looking for advice on taking the next step

Hi all, new woodworker here looking for some help in getting started on more projects.

I have done a few projects (outdoor storage bench, ground level deck) but haven’t done anything in years and looking to get more regularly into it.

I currently have a circular saw, drill, impact driver, orbital sander, and reciprocating saw. I also have some other necessities like a workbench, sawhorses, squares, hammers, drill bits, a few chisels, measuring tape, etc. Regular DIY home maintenance stuff.

A few of the projects I would like to be able to complete are picture frames, toy box, bookshelf, shoe storage shelf, coffee and side tables, and toddler bed.

I’m looking to see what my next tool purchases should be to complete those projects? I know a lot of people will probably say a table saw; originally I was going to try and do a Delta 36-725 or equivalent Ridgid but honestly I just don’t have the space for a hybrid saw. I could make room for a decent job site saw with stand but not sure if that money could maybe be better spent elsewhere.

I currently have about $500 I could spend.

The two options I was considering was spending full budget on a Dewalt job site table saw or the direction I’m leaning:

- PC air compressor and tool combo (brad and finish nailer, staple gun) - currently on sale for $200
    - Ridgid jig saw (already have batteries) - $130
    - Bosch 2.25hp router with fixed and plunge bases – currently on sale for $190

I can already rip and crosscut with the circular saw. The air compressor and brad nailer is something I've wanted to have for a while and currently on sale. Same for the jig saw. With the router and a homemade table I could do rabbets/dados, joinery, and other finishing work. I have checked my local Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace for used table saws and didn’t have much luck finding anything worthwhile but might’ve found a good deal on a PC 1.75hp router for $50 I might grab.

Just curious what everyone’s thoughts are or if there are any other recommendations?

Also, as a beginner I know a lot of people use pocket hole joinery for basic furniture; I used a buddies Kreg Jig to build the bench and it was easy to use but I don’t love it. I would like to be able to build stuff with minimal fasteners and not spend $150ish dollars to get my own Kreg set-up. Could I fairly easily do mortise and tenons with the router? Are dowels a good option? I’ve seen mixed reviews on less expensive dowel jigs and if you bump up to something like DowelMax you’re in the same boat as Kreg with a couple hundred dollar outlay to get started. Any other options I’m overlooking?

Thanks in advance to anyone who made it this far and for any advice you can give!

I'd give serious thought to signing up for a week long furniture building class at one of the many schools around the country. I expect it would really jump-start a beginner and provide a lot of clarity about what, if any, new tools are needed to do what you want to do.

Blog Entries
    Do you have a Woodworkers Club to go to?

In Houston we have this one.

http://www.wwch.org/HomePage.htm

If you become a contributor your location will show on your post.

You can easily do loose tenon joinery with a router and edge or shop made guide. Some folks like dowel joinery, but I've always found the precision level too high for it to be considered an easy task; loose tenon joinery is a lot more forgiving and likely a lot stronger so that's the route I use most of the time. Both are more durable and rigid than pocket hole joinery so pick whichever appeals to you most. Or go old school and chop mortises by hand with nothing more than a chisel. People have been doing it for at least a thousand years.

Unless you want to be a handtool guy you will most likely want a TS at some point. For me that was the most important machine to acquire when I first started out. I built a lot of projects with a Sears TS, a router, jigsaw, hand plane, and few basic handtools. You are limited to using S4S lumber and plywood, but that was fine while I was building enough skill to take on more complex projects. I would happily use a jobsite saw over no TS at all.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Will Pate View Post
    ...I was going to try and do a Delta 36-725 or equivalent Ridgid...
    - PC air compressor and tool combo (brad and finish nailer, staple gun) - currently on sale for $200
    - Ridgid jig saw (already have batteries) - $130
    - Bosch 2.25hp router with fixed and plunge bases – currently on sale for $190...
    Find a way to get a real table saw and larger compressor.
    Get the corded Bosch jigsaw.
    The corded Bosch routers are generally excellent if you avoid bottom of line.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I've been making furniture as a hobbyist for 40 years.

I've had zero need for a compressor or nailer, or a router in most of that time period.

You'll gain the most in my opinion by buying a good table saw, and later a jointer/planer for processing rough material into furniture grade components.

A drill press is also a must have.

I use the band saw a lot, however if you're just cutting curves a good jig saw can suffice. Note I said good.

Have fun, keep learning, you've received a lot of good suggestions from other people............Regards, Rod.

Will buy that P.C. router quick. As a carpenter I own at least three mobile air compressors,air tools and compressors are very handy for house renovations ,finish/trim work on houses and that sort of stuff. I do use a finish nailer in my shop some. If you have plans to do renos on your house these tools will come in handy ,otherwise I would buy other things first. I agree with the advise of buying a good tablesaw early in your journey as a woodworker. That machine and a jointer and planer are the foundation machines for solid wood furniture building. Listen to Rod and at least look into the jointer/planer combination machines. I wish that I could have started with one of those however, available money was non existent in my early years. Good luck.

I started with a piece of flint and a stick. Just kidding - not quite that old. If you have craigs list look for a table saw. If it needs tuning up so much the better - you'll learn a lot, and by using it you'll discover what you like in a ts and what you don't. Then, down the road a piece, you'll make a much more informed decision about a better ts, and avoid a possible disappointment after spending some larger bucks. Some good chisels and a good hand plane. A router if you can swing it. S4S lumber is not all bad. And don't forget that you'll not only be finding out what tools work for you but also what kind of things you like to build. I like mortise and tenon work so I've accumulated tools that lend themselves to that kind of work. Who knows - in a couple of years you might have 2 or 3 lathes and have become addicted to turning. There is no cure as I understand it. Don't underestimate the power of good books - there's a tremendous amount of info out there. And, of course, here at the Creek. Become a Contributor (all of 6 bucks a year) and share and learn.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Check with your local high school. Ours used to offer evening classes for adults in woodworking. That way, you have an instructor with safety in mind, and a shop full of machinery you can try out. And you can build something.

Thank you to everyone who replied. Trying to plan out purchases has been difficult. I want to have the right tools to make good projects and not get frustrated but don’t want to go overboard and splurge unnecessarily in the beginning.

For everyone who suggested classes or clubs I would love to look into that but with a 1 year old and another on the way that’s just not in the cards right now. For now I do have a decent amount of free time in the evenings to tinker in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    You can easily do loose tenon joinery with a router and edge or shop made guide.

Unless you want to be a handtool guy you will most likely want a TS at some point. For me that was the most important machine to acquire when I first started out. I built a lot of projects with a Sears TS, a router, jigsaw, hand plane, and few basic handtools. You are limited to using S4S lumber and plywood, but that was fine while I was building enough skill to take on more complex projects. I would happily use a jobsite saw over no TS at all.

John
    Do you have any links for the loose tenon guides you mentioned.

I’m rethinking the table saw idea. Any recommendations for best bang for my buck on the jobsite saws? I was eyeing the Dewalt DWE7480 and Metabo C10RJ.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Find a way to get a real table saw and larger compressor.
    Get the corded Bosch jigsaw.
    The corded Bosch routers are generally excellent if you avoid bottom of line.
    What would you recommend for a table saw? Unfortunately due to space constraints I probably don’t have room for what most here would consider a “real” saw.

Which Bosch jigsaw do you recommend? Lowe’s has several from $69 up to almost $200.

I’m probably going to forego the compressor for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I've been making furniture as a hobbyist for 40 years.

I've had zero need for a compressor or nailer, or a router in most of that time period.

You'll gain the most in my opinion by buying a good table saw, and later a jointer/planer for processing rough material into furniture grade components.

A drill press is also a must have.

I use the band saw a lot, however if you're just cutting curves a good jig saw can suffice. Note I said good.
    I’m going to forego the compressor for now and am probably getting a used router.

I’m surprised you haven’t used your router much. That seems like a commonly used tool in furniture building from a lot of tutorials I’ve watched.

Just curious what all you use your drill press for? Where would you rank that purchase in comparison to table saw, jointer, planer, etc?

What jointers and planers would you recommend? Again due to space constraints I would need to start with benchtop models.

What would you recommend for a good jigsaw?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Will buy that P.C. router quick. As a carpenter I own at least three mobile air compressors,air tools and compressors are very handy for house renovations ,finish/trim work on houses and that sort of stuff. I do use a finish nailer in my shop some. If you have plans to do renos on your house these tools will come in handy ,otherwise I would buy other things first. I agree with the advise of buying a good tablesaw early in your journey as a woodworker. That machine and a jointer and planer are the foundation machines for solid wood furniture building. Listen to Rod and at least look into the jointer/planer combination machines. I wish that I could have started with one of those however, available money was non existent in my early years. Good luck.
    I’m just waiting to hear back on the router to confirm the model because it was tough to tell from the picture but if it’s what I think it is I’m going to grab it. Is a plunge base essential to have early or will the fixed base suffice for now? I would like to make a router table as part of another small mobile workbench.

I’m going to hold off on the compressor for now.

It seems the combination jointer/planers get really mixed reviews. I was looking at the Jet 8” JJP-8BT. Are there any others in that price range I’m missing?

If I went the separate route what brands are good value? And should I buy the jointer or planer first?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Pate View Post
    ...Which Bosch jigsaw do you recommend?...
    I'd get one like this:

www. ebay. com/itm/Bosch-1587VS-Variable-Speed-Top-Handle-Jigsaw/323954164204?epid=1603933174&hash=item4b6d2c41ec:g :j~MAAOSwunNdrMck
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-24-2019 at 9:39 AM.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I would not put a drill press on the need to have when starting out. I have one and it is nice to have but 95% of what I have used it for I could do with a hand drill.
    make your self a guide / track for your circular saw it is cheap and you can do a lot with one I have a few different sizes. Clamp them to what you are cutting. https://www.familyhandyman.com/tools...utting-guides/ you can make it out of anything not just mdf.

Have you looked at the portable table saws like dewalt bw745 or dw7480 they are not as nice as the bigger saws but the smaller saws do not take much room. I have a Bosh it is nice that it can be put away and does not take much room. But I wish it had a wider ripping with only 18 inch on the bosh. and the space between the start of the table and blade I wish was longer.

the kreg jig is nice to have for some things look at the R3 it will do what you need for less than the bigger ones. https://www.amazon.com/R3-Promo-Pock...86&s=hi&sr=1-4

Table saw. If your area is is anything like mine, PLENTY of used table saws at bargain prices on CL, FB Marketplace, etc. Not necessarily needed for what you are doing but I think everyone should own a vertical bandsaw. Just because using them is fun, safe, and opens up new areas of the hobby you might not have thought of. Best of luck in your search.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Will that Porter cable (690) is best as a fixed base. If you want a plunge machine Make that router number two down the road.Or option number two buy a kit with both bases,such as the Dewalt or Bosch kits. The plunge base for the 690 P.C. routers is not very good,I have one that is never used.

Quote Originally Posted by justin sherriff View Post
    Have you looked at the portable table saws like dewalt bw745 or dw7480 they are not as nice as the bigger saws but the smaller saws do not take much room. I have a Bosh it is nice that it can be put away and does not take much room. But I wish it had a wider ripping with only 18 inch on the bosh. and the space between the start of the table and blade I wish was longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Table saw. If your area is is anything like mine, PLENTY of used table saws at bargain prices on CL, FB Marketplace, etc. Not necessarily needed for what you are doing but I think everyone should own a vertical bandsaw. Just because using them is fun, safe, and opens up new areas of the hobby you might not have thought of. Best of luck in your search.
    Checking Facebook I found a Hitachi C10RJ for $350; looks like they sell new on Amazon for $399 and at Lowes for $499 (they will price match Amazon) with a 2 year warranty.

I also found one on Big Sky Tools (reconditioned grade A) on sale for $169; with shipping would come out to $254 with a 1 year warranty.

I really like the looks of this saw; does anyone have any opinions? Also, that deal from Big Sky almost seems too good to be true. Anyone have experience buying reconditioned from them?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Will that Porter cable (690) is best as a fixed base. If you want a plunge machine Make that router number two down the road.Or option number two buy a kit with both bases,such as the Dewalt or Bosch kits. The plunge base for the 690 P.C. routers is not very good,I have one that is never used.
    Thanks. For $50 it seems like a no-brainer to get me started.