Thread: Wood Vise location, in outfeed table? Small Shop

Wood Vise location, in outfeed table? Small Shop

My two car garage is seemingly a small shop and I'm trying to figure out how to add a wood working quick release vise. I often find myself clamping things to my table saw to help in planing and sanding. Always a pain.

Garage is small because the right side has a full bank of upper and lower cabinets from an kitchen my dad tore out (he's a contractor). The left side has a reloading bench and the front has laundry.

it leaves me the middle of the garage and that's occupied by a 52" Sawstop, 8" jointer, router table, 16" powermatic planer AND a bandsaw, chop saw, and rolling flipcart 13" planer/sander.

I was thinking about making an outfeed table on my sawstop that folds out when I need it via brackets bolted to the saw. I want to add drop down legs on the outfeed and then a quick release vise to the outfeed. Now that I think about it, that may not work because jaws on those vises are 3"-5" tall. That I don't would work with only a 3/4" plywood outfeed top.

I could do this, but then would have to store the case iron wing.

This location has worked extremely well for me for decades.

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I have a smaller size woodworking vise on outfeed table that is removable on my table saw. I just beefed up the 3/4" outfeed top underneath to support the vise. The outfeed table is useable space and needs to be used occasionally. Doing mostly turning now, it seems to be a good storage spot.