Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grohe Geneva faucet repair

Grohe Geneva faucet repair

How the ding dang heck do you remove the caps so removal of the handles and cartridges is possible?
    Grohe and all the info I've found say to remove the cap with a screw driver. Yeah, right. And ding the heck out of the chrome.
    I've tried a wood shim and tapping with a hammer to no avail.
    For such an expensive faucet, they sure make service difficult, not to mention expensive in itself.

20191023_093255.jpg

20191023_093305.jpg
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

i might try a kitchen towel and some slip joint pliers?

or a thin screw driver with a bit of shop towel on the tip.

or one of those thin rubber jar grip pads to use on a jar that wont open.

Blog Entries
    Do they have a customer support line? Might be worth a call. I like Grohe faucets a lot, but yes, they are expensive.

I've used a plastic putty knife with occasional success. Also have hot-melt glued a piece of dowel to the cap and used that to pop it off, again with occasional success.

Strap wrench.

Try this first:
    unscrew the handles on the sides. With them out of the way, sometimes you can ease off the caps, or, like some faucets, the main body unscrews once the lever portion is off.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

I've tried everything now. Nothing unscrews, pops off, or moves.
    I found another diagram that shows the lever handle with Hot-Cold inserts as a complete unit. https://www.chicagofaucetshoppe.com/...o-20801000.htm
    I tried gently prying the handle up off the stem. It didn't move. I hate to try more force on it but I'll have to try. Maybe a couple wedges.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Well, FWIW, here are the installation instructions for the handles. Without question, the worst "instructions" I've seen, perhaps outside of IKEA. I though Delta's instructions were bad, but they are class A compared to these. It *looks* like the handle presses on to an adapter that screws onto the cartridge stem, but who knows from those poor instructions. At least they will show where the divisions between components are.

[edit to add link]: https://www.buygrohe.us/media/6266/4...37_install.pdf
    Last edited by Paul F Franklin; 10-26-2019 at 10:31 PM.

We have the 18 734 handle. My next step is try to remove the Cold button in the top of the handle.
    In the meantime a plastic bowl sits in the sink catching the drips. Trying to buy a set of ceramic cartridges, and getting the right ones, is a whole 'nother exercise in frustration.

We had a single handle Grohe installed during the kitchen remodel. That one had a tendency to loosen at the base, then the damned thing leaked. A PITA to get out.
    I replaced it with a Delta, and sent the Grohe back on warranty. Another round of frustration in itself. We got a new Grohe faucet, with the mileage to Ann Arbor being our expense, and I replaced the Delta with it.

4-6 months later the new one did the same thing. I ordered a repair kit, FINALLY got the right one, (frustration) and repaired it. And again the frustration trying to understand the "instructions" as has been described by Paul.
    Anyway, for the last 3 years, the Grohe has been sitting in a box, and the Delta has been flawless. Wife wants the Grohe back, and I'm resisting, carefully.
    I told her when the Delta dies, I'll try the Grohe one-more-time.

According to the PDF from Paul F, it looks like there is a collar that turns on/off for the handle. And then the base also turns off so you can get at the cartridge. Refer to the red arrows on the attached image. 4005176815737_install.pdf

I'd go at it with pliers over something grippy to protect the finish.

Good Luck

Clint

Tape is grippy, a couple wraps of blue tape should work.

Why would Grohe say to use a screw driver, when as I just found out, the Hot/Cold caps,.. ahem..unscrew.
    Geesh.
    I have them off and a phillips screw is underneath.
    Tnx all

Yeah, that sounds like it required some complicated instructions!

Suxcess, sorta. I finally had to remove the faucet from the sink, and spray it down with PB Blaster to soak.
    I had to clamp the thing in a WW vice, and loosen the cartridge assy. with a 1/2" drive breaker bar and 6 point socket. 17mm by the way.
    Grohe says it takes 1/4 turn to release the cartridge. It unscrews.

grohe faucet .jpg

Blog Entries
    Just remembered that my Grohe kitchen faucet has a lifetime warranty as long as you have the receipt. Have you checked that out?