Thread: Shaper Power Feeder - Fuji Frenic Mini or KB Electronics KBAC-24D VFD?

Shaper Power Feeder - Fuji Frenic Mini or KB Electronics KBAC-24D VFD?

I'm about to set up a Jet 1hp power feeder on a Northwood shaper and will be purchasing a VFD to power it. I only installed a VFD once before and used a KBAC-24D by KB Electronics. It was easy to set up and only involved moving a few jumpers, minor wiring, etc. Someone on this forum suggested using a Fuji Frenic Mini for this application in another thread. The Fuji is attractive because of its smaller size and lower cost. However the KBAC-24D has a better enclosure, NEMA 4X versus 1 and was easy to install. Any suggestions on which way to go?

I would get th me one that is easier to install unless you know what you are doing. I think the idea of using a VFD on a power feeder is great because it would give you a lot of speed options that you might or might not have otherwise. I also think that a static phase converter would be just fine. Static phase converters are much easier to install and wire up. Plus it would be cheaper. Is your power feeder 240v or 440v? If it is a duel voltage you would need to have it wired to 240v or 220v to use a VFD.

I am not sure if a static phase converter or a VFD will work with 440v machinery. Seems like i was told it won’t work. I recently picked up a lot of three used Maggi Steff 2048’s that are NOT duel voltage but rather fixed at 440v. I initially just assumed they could be wired to 220v and go either way. Got them back to my shop after winning them at an auction and realized my mistake. I believe that the only option for fixed voltage 440v 3 phase machines on single phase power are to use RPC’s. I have a 25hp American Rotary RPC that I use to power my wide belt sander and it seems like I can recall when I installed it that it could be set up to run 440v or 220v either/or but I could be wrong on that.

After giving it more thought I do have another option. I have 3 phase power from a RPC but it's in another area of my shop and an extension cord would have to be used or another outlet installed. Is the variable speed offered by the VFD that much better than the 2 speeds on the power feeder? I've never used a power feeder before.

I use a 1hp Teco50 vfd on my Jet feeder without issue. I think it has 4 speeds and with a flip of a gear you get 4 more. I haven't touched the gear ever with the VFD. The biggest problem was finding a good place to mount it. I ended up mounting it in an enclosure on the end of a cord to make a sort of extension cord out of it. That way it is not stuck on the shaper if it needs to be moved.

Blog Entries
    If the feeder is really only 2 speed something is off. It should be 4 speeds at least. As for the question is variable speed worth it, yes.. i think you would be very hard pressed to find anyone who has used a vs feeder that wouldn't agree.