Thread: Blum Minipress

Blum Minipress

I was at the right place at the right time and got this on an auction where I was apparently the only one who knew what it is. Question, has anyone used a Mini press with the line boring attachment? I scored a Ritter line boring machine too, but its three phase, so vfd for the Ritter or blum attachment is the question?

20191021_181600.jpg

I have not used mine for line boring. The line boring head is very expensive. $1,500+. It would save you a lot of cash to buy a cheap VFD for $150 or a static phase converter for probably $100 instead of buying the $1,500+ line boring head.

I don’t have the MiniPress but rather the Blum MiniDrill which is very similar. Got mine for $250 from a local competitor who thought that it was ruined because an employee broke off all of the set screws that hold the bits in the collets by torquing them down with a cheater bar. They are idiots because all I did was purchase 3 new chucks which were $28 + $28 + $31 and a new set of boring bits which were $70. Now I have a like new MiniDrill that works great. There is a guy in Great Britain that makes dust extraction hoods for the MiniPress and MiniDrill. They work great too. $93 for the hood and $30 for shipping. Highly recommended!

Blog Entries
    I have a 7 spindle head on my gannomat. It works well, but change over takes longer than id like. If it wasn't the only 45/9.5 borer (my other is a hettich pattern) id leave it set up for line boring.

Dan can you post more info on where to get the dust extraction hoods. Thanks ,Mike.

Blog Entries
    Also my 7 spindle head was included in the $100 purchase price of my machine. I wouldn't buy a full price attachment, when a stand alone 13 spindle unit is less expensive

I had one but sold mine so I can't help. Was just not worth switching back and forth from hinges to line boring. I guess if you don't do a lot of either it may be worthwhile?

good luck,
    JeffD

The line boring attachment will work... mostly, but at the end of the day, it is just that, an attachment.
    If you have volume, a true line bore is easier, way,way quicker, and way more accurate.
    The Blum references at least 2 corners/edges on each piece, whereas the line bore only 1.
    I used the Grass version for 20 years, it was faster than laying out and drilling each by hand but didn't seem by much.
    Line bore was a lightyear leap forward!!

I picked up a used Delta 13 spindle manual line boring machine for $250 (new they go for around $1,300) and got rid of the stock Delta fence and replaced the fence with an 80/20 aluminum extrusion fence that is 96” long with a stick on measuring tape on top and multiple flip stops. Then I built a cabinet for it that goes out 6ft on each side of the machine. Made it a much more capable machine and still came in at under $600 even with the upgrades which is less that half the cost of the Blum line boring head. Having a dedicated line borer and a dedicated hinge borer is much better than having to constantly swap between the Blum attachments and in my case was significantly cheaper.,

Thanks for the insight all. I think I'll get the Ritter going, and if I cross paths with a reasonably priced line bore attachment for the Blum I might try it.